THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    223 velocity in different barrel lengths ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 velocity in different barrel lengths ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Gentlemen, I am curious about differences in 223 muzzle velocity from AR15-type rifles with different length barrels, specifically 20, 22 & 24 inch barrels. Anyone ever chronograph? Thanks!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 20" barrel will keep a proper load like an 80 Sierra supersonic at 1,000. I think a 16" will stay supersonic at 600, but again you need a decent load. The sight radius of a 16 makes it poor for 600.

Sorry, I don't know what the longer barrels do.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the target/varmit rifles with long barrels, wondering if there is any point going beyond 20".

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have both, Forrest and I can't say there is any difference in field performance but there is more muzzle blast (from the shooter's vantage point) with the shorter barrel. It should make no difference in accuracy at all.

Also, the 20" barrel is much easier-handling; more so than you would think for only four inches less.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning toward the Remington/Bushmaster VTR with 22" free floated fluted barrel. I have a S&W M15 carbine.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
22" sounds like a nice compromise.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
It took me a while to find this. Bushmaster no longer has it on their site.

I took a pic of the printout I had in my reloading records.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would you consider a 20" with a supressor?

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20 in. is plenty long, and they get too heavy pretty fast. My 16 in. mid length carbine weighs 8.8 pounds with scope, sling, and a loaded 30 round mag. Picture adding a 24 in bull barrel to that. The 20 loses less than a hundred fps for me, another 150 or so to go 16 in.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed ran a velocity test on .22s sometime in the past. I found it somewhere on this site-- or maybe I found it by searching the subject. Don't remember...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
Saeed ran a velocity test on .22s sometime in the past. I found it somewhere on this site-- or maybe I found it by searching the subject. Don't remember...

I don't get it! What do the tests of different barrel lengths vs. velocity in .22LR have to do with barrel length/velocity comparisons in the .223 Rem/5.56 x 45mm?!!!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was about .223 Rem rounds...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote