New
Find
Notify
Tools

RRA Varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an RRA Varmint with an 18" barrel. I have been getting groups from 1.5" to 2.5 inches. I have tried Black Hills 52gr match, HSM 60gr Vmax, & another factory loaded 55gr that I cannot recall the name of at this time. I have also loaded 50gr Nosler BT & Winchester 64gr Pwr Points myself.
All of the ammo mentioned functioned perfectly in the rifle. I'm just not seeing the groups I expected. Any idea's on what kind of problem I'm seeing here?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RRA rifles generally deliver fine accuracy, but with more info as to sight system, scope/irons, etc. hard to diagnose from afar. Whatever sight system, is it "snug" and firm in place?? Assuming distance is 100yds but another item is the barrel fouled? Would give it a good cleaning and it doing so would try a break in period of the rifle afterward. Clean-shoot some 15-20 times, and ignore the accuracy at this time, then do 3 five shot groups and clean after each 5 shot group and this time can shoot for groups to see if improving. Some do not believe break in process is an advantage and some do, I happen to practice the break in method as described. I am assuming your barrel twist is 9, but if 7 or 8 that may explain some of the accuracy issues with your ammunition. Some 7-8 barrels will work with the lighter bullets, but 69's and up is generally preferred. Might try some 69's and see what happens.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle, I believe, has an 8 twist. The myth about fast twists not shooting small groups is just that....a myth. I have a stock Colt HBAR with a 7 twist that shoots everything I feed into much much smaller groups then this RRA is shooting...and that includes lighter bullets too.

I feel you have shot a variety of bullets and bullet weights to get some kind of idea of what the rifle will do. You have something else going on to cause, for a varmint model, to shoot those size groups. I'd clean it well and have a friend that you know shoots good give it a try and if it doesn't improve, then I'd start looking for the reason....maybe even give RRA a call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon 4.5x14 scope mounted on my rifle. The rings & riser block are tight.
The barrel has a 1:8 twist & the 223 Wylde chamber. All of my shooting for groups has been at 100 yards.
I will give it a good cleaning & I think that I am going to give the Hornady 75gr match ammo a try. I see that is has gotten several good reviews on the Midway site.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RRA has a sub MOA guarantee for their rifles, and there is no reason yours shouldn't do 1" groups with factory 50-55gr rounds. Try cleaning, maybe let someone else shoot it, swap scopes. If all else fails call Rock River.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
RRA has a sub MOA guarantee for their rifles, and there is no reason yours shouldn't do 1" groups with factory 50-55gr rounds. Try cleaning, maybe let someone else shoot it, swap scopes. If all else fails call Rock River.

+1 on calling RRA

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in it. Most of my small caliber rifles seem to do quite well with them.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite some years ago now, the AR15/16's being used by both civilian and military for NRA High Power Match purposes generated the need for heavier bullets i.e., 69,75,77,80 in order to derive accuracy at ranges out to and beyond the 600yd line therefore the faster twist barrels heavier bullets combo. As mentioned 15 type rifles will often deliver good accuracy with lighter bullets at short ranges of 100 and even 200yds, but extended range performance will be enhanced with the heavier bullet/fast twist barrel. As to the "myth" about 15's with fast twist barrels not shooting lighter bullets that comes from those who do shoot extended range and found that the lighter bullets do not perform as well as the heavier ones.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military is the one that required the faster twist. Even in the beginning the M16 had a twist problem with the very first ones had a 14 twist and it was the Air Force that found out it wouldn't stabilize the 55 grain bullet in the then 193 ammo. The stability problem showed up in extreme cold climates first where the Air Force happen to be. Stoner was told about and the twist was changed to 12. The military needed to shoot tracers and the tracer had to be long. That required even a faster twist then the 12. I'm sure, in addition to the military, the the civilian and military matches helped the fast twist along.

Light bullets at long distances isn't a unique problem to the M16/AR15, it happens to all calibers. It was kind of silly to bring that up. I have a Colt HBAR with a 7 twist and it shoots the lighter bullets much further then 200 yards quite accurately. Yes it will shoot the heavier bullets further more accurately,but those bullets are designed to be used in a faster twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to shooting those Hornady 75gr match bullets out of my RRA varmint. I shot four 5 shot grupos @ 100 yards. Four of the 5 were under 1" with the best measuring .547". It's looking like my rifle likes the heavier bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My RRA 24" varminter spattered PMC 55gr over 1.5" during break in. Once I learned to forward load the bipod I got a group like this.
I'm loading up some 69gr match kings and 50gr Blitz kings for more testing this week using TAC and Benchmark powders.

This is my first foray into the AR thing, trying to see if it's a fun diversion from my bolt varminters.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very impressive Nomo. I think that I need to try those in my rifle.