New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to get for next AR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got bite by the AR bug a year ago and put together a, RRA coyote rifle, built the lower/bought the upper,...have a Nikon monarch 3-9x40 bdc scope on it and it shoots 1MOA all day long or better.

I have built a second lower now, a 6 position collapsable, and trying to figure out what to do with it?? I was debating to set up a carbine or middey length .223 with red dot for close in coyote calling in the thick stuff, a 458 socom or the likes W red dot for deer brush gun. 6.5 grendel for all around, or to put the 20"Coyote upper on the m4 lower and get a 24" heavy barrel .204 or .223 for the Ace/rifle lower? As a target/varminter?

Thoughts, suggestions, rude comments appreciated?

As a side not I'm trying to fill holes in my shooting arsenal which consists of

ruger 10/22 4x32 hogue stock/power custom trigger
savage 17hmr w Leo 4-12X40AO
Abolt Micro .243 w/zeiss 3-9X50mildot 3lb timney
Vanguard 7-08 w/zeiss 3-9x40 4lbtimney trigger
Abolt 30-06 w Leo 3-9x40 4lb timney
Abolt 300WSM w/Leo 1.75-6x32 4lb timney
S&W 629 .44mag w/red dot

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
You have no more holes in the smallbore section of your collection. Big Grin But, you may consider setting up a lightweight AR. A 14" or 16" pencil barrel with midlength gas makes a great woods-walkin' rifle. I have one from cmmg and love it. I put an old Aimpoint on it and it works well.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look two topics below yours. I have a sweet Colt AR for sell. Will make a great deal, with or without the ammo!

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bird, this is a terrible delimma, because there are just so many great things you can do the with modern ar. Smiler

You current AR covers a wide range of hunting opportunities, but when it comes to AR's I really am a fan of having one set up for close in, and one for distance work. It sounds like your current rig is covering the distance work nicely, so how about the 16" bbl and the red dot combo you mentioned earlier. If you prefer a more conventional scope, a Leupold VXII 1-4 works great for close to intermediate range work.

If you want to hunt deer, how about starting with a 6.8spc II chamber and a 20" barrel, mount it with a 1.75-6 Leo like you have on the WSM? Loaded with 100gr Nosler Accubonds you could stack up the deer like cord wood.

The 458 would be incredible fun on pigs. The SOCOM has two big advantages over the Bushmaster variant. You can use a standard AR mag, AND carry up to 15 rounds in the unmodified 40 round USA mags. Here piggy piggy piggy......Don't worry if you don't have any pigs in your area, it would give you a good excuse to go on a Texas pig hunt.

Of course, you could decide to go for an all out long range shooter. 24" heavy fluted barrel chambered in .223, with a 6.5-20, or 8.5x25 Leupold, side focus, M1 knobs, with a TMR or Varmit reticle. Imagine sitting on a prarrie dog town all day with that. Cool

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My youngest son and I have a 14.5" (with pinned brake) and Rock River Operator's stock, an LMT 16" with SOPMOD, a 16" Bravo Company upper on a Aero Precision lower, a Colt SP1, and a spiffed up 20" bushy Heavy bbl with floated handguard all in 5.56.

I also have a registered 11.5" 5.56 M16.

About a year ago I got a bad case of BRD (black rifle disease) and built a 16" floated bbl .300 Whisper, and a 6.8 SPC II with a midlength gas system, floated 18" WOA bbl and a MagPul ACS.

I like the 6.8 so well that I have a 16" under construction using a Wilson Combat SS bbl. Will again be floated, use Aero Precision upper and lower and a SOPMOD. 6.8 does very well with shorter barrels and 16" is plenty long for hunting.

Look at Aero Precision for the forged upper/lower. The uppers are $60 and the lowers are $80 in singles. They are very precise and very nicely finished. Work every bit as well as Black Rain Ordnance millet pieces.

For triggers I can afford ... Bill Springfield's 3# units are terrific for the price! ($55 on your trigger/disconnector/sear.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You seem to have the bases covered with your other rifles. Get yourself the .458 socom thumper.

Posts: 8 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either the SOCOM or the 450 Bushmaster.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Advice gents,

Does it make sense to put a 20" or longer upper on a 6 position collapsible lower?

Aren't you suppose to match the gas operating length to the recoil buffer? Which would mean a carbine or Middy for this lower?

I was leaning towards one ar for long range one for close in work.

Antelope Sniper that was find of what I was thinking not sure what dirrection to go, I have the deer rifles covered in spades my gun season is only 9 days long,...I'm almost to the point for a different gun for every day!

I am intrigued by the .458 socom, and reload so ammo isn't an issue,... and actually have been eyeing a 45-70 for some time also! but that is another discussion! Not many piggies up here yet,....but seeing what the .44 does at 50yards to a deer I'm sure the .458 would be EXTREMELY effective in the brush.

I'll have to price out the different options/combinations and see what doesn't blow the budget! Was trying to stay under a grand for the upper/optics combination,...but I have expensive tastes!!!!!!

BRD is a cruel mistress to say the least!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not want/need an AR upper to hunt deer or ig sized game then I would opt for a super accurate 16", 223 upper.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Bird, my advise is to add the one you will shoot the most!!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at adding a 6.8spc upper. Don't look at reloading manuals as the dat covers the SAMMi chamber. You would want a SPCII or DMR chamber. RR and Bushy moved from SAMMI to SPCII chambers.

Perfect for deer or hogs. Same size as 5.56/223 -- only need to change bolt, barrel, and magazines....and there are some really good magazines out there. PRI are my fav.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Well I told my self I'd never buy a AR platform unless I could get it in my favorite chamber the 6.5X55. Bit I ran into a deal I couldnt resist. I bout a brand new stripped lower for $150. But sense I have the lower I now need to start thinking what parts to buy and what to do.
I m having issues in deciding weather to make it a single shot and chamber it in something outrageous like 50bmg or something small and rapid fire. I ll put it this way. I never been a real big fan of huge calibers but do favor them over smaller calibers.
Although I dont have gun chambered under 6.5. I do ADC work for my job outside being a disabled vet. So any ideas?
I dont mean to take over the thread, pm me with ideas or what not as not to walk all over the thread starter.
James

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a stagg 6.8 spc and I put an ACOG set up with B&C for 6.8. It has red Ghost ring and center dot. Center dot covers 4-6 inches at 100 yards. It also has red cross hairs on outside area of viewing range. I like it, and will be the ticket for caribou on the fly from snowmachine. Staggs are 8-9 hundred and dealer cost for that acog is under 1000 bucks, lists for 1300 on web site.

We have 3 Ars in 223 I have an armalite 338 fed ordered. They try and get ya for 1900 for armalite but cost is around 1600. I don't mind gun shop making 100-150 on me, but feel robbed at 3-4 hundred.

I find myself using the AR's more than all my other guns of late. The weatherby, remingtons, brownings, and old savage sit in the vaukt.

Look at midway catalog, all the various uppers available.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Zhurh,...I know midway well,...all too well!

here are some pics of the first build and the second lower.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot that 6.8 in yesterday off my back porch bench. Bolted that acog on and was hitting 14 inches high & to the left at 100 yards. 4 groups later, had a 1.5 inch pattern on bulls eye. The ghost ring covered outside edge of 8 inch black circle.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I bought an Olympic arms 7.62x39 upper for my RRA. I love it. FOr the piggies, it just hits a bit harder.

Mind you I broke it in properly by taking a virgin barrel going into some of the best pig hunting in TX and shooting about 100 rounds out of it without dreaming of cleaning it.

I can hear the "break in crowd" slapping their foreheads and calling me an idiot.

Gun still shoots great. I have broken in two of my AR's as they should be. This one was the test case.

So I have no conclusive evidence that cleaning has any direct correlation to accuracy.
stir
Would love to have Either the SOCOM or the 450 Bushmaster. Those have PIG written all over them.

I ordered a 40 S&W upper from RRA for a friend of mine. That will be a fun gun to shoot pigs with. Maybe not as effective as a 30 cal, but I can bet it will be fun.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jerry H
posted Hide Post
After my "varmint" AR I had to have a "Service Rifle" AR. It shoots WAY better than I can. From a rest it will go in an inch if I repeat the sight picture a few times. With Sierra 69 Matchkings and the ER Shaw 1:9 (NO BREAK IN, BAH HUMBUG) it is just funner'n cheescake.

I keep a pencil barrel build under the back seat for alien zombie cats and a carbine FNFAL for their masters.

About all I want for my mouseguns now is a .22 LR kit.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Posts: 44 | Location: East of Houston | Registered: 09 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend just picked up a AR performance 6.8spc
upper and asked me to go sight it in and see how it shot, he could not get off work they
are working 7 days a week. I mounted a VXII Leopold and took it to the range with the
SSA 110 grain accubods, Well it will out shoot
any bolt gun i have and I will order one Tommarow
great quality stuff. I think he spent 835 USD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked out the AR performamce site,...very informative site,...I'm assuming his upper had the spec II chamber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, with correct free bore and they
have the twist rate correct for heavier bullets.
his shot the 110 grain stuff at 100M in five shot groups largest being just under 1 inch.
I am very Impressed, I will shoot it at 300M
this weekend and will be glad to let you know how it shoots. I will be ordering mine tomarrow.