THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Bolt Carrier Group - Which one to Buy?????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Carrier Group - Which one to Buy?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I am in the process of piecing together an AR-15 in 5.56 NATO. I have a barrel in the works at Krieger. Now I am in the market for a Bolt Carrier Group (BCG). What brand should I be looking for? There seems to be a number available. What is the best value out there?

Thanks in advance!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have a BCM & it works fine.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
BCM is the way to go, in my opinion. Also look for a Colt, Spikes Tactical, Daniel Defense, PSA (Palmetto State Armory), or any quality bolt carrier group. Here is what you will want to look for:

-Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group. This has nothing to do with your rifle actually being full auto- it merely means the BCG is a greater mass than a semi-auto BCG and thus is inherently more reliable.
-Carpenter steel bolt, magnetic particle inspected; high-pressure tested. This is quite possibly the most important attribute of the BCG.
-Properly staked gas key. Make sure that metal has been displaced into the screws so there is no chance the screws could back out.

Good luck on your search!

-John