New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 SOCOM VS .50 Beowolf
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which do you guys think is better. They seem to be pretty close in ballistics. My local AR dealer says he thinks the Beowolf is a better factory package.
I'm torn!
Anybody here have first hand ex with either?
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i just shot my .458 socom last week,.... 3 shot cloverleaf at 25 yards, on bipod.... 400 grain factory corbon loads... haven't shot a .50 beowulf yet... from what ive seen, there's lots of different bullets to pick from with the .458 socom... and lots fewer with the beowulf...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats kinda what I'm cathering the more I read. The SOCOM was my first choice then my AR guy started in on me about .50 beowolf.
MM

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .450 Bushmaster and a .50 Beowulf. Haven't shot either much, but the .450 is EXTREMELY accurate and the Beowulf using factory IMI is about a 2 MOA rifle. Given the bullet choices in .458, I'd choose that bore diameter without a compelling reason to go larger.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fat Cat
I think I will either go back to the 458 SOCOM idea or look into thr 450 Bushmaster.
You guys have been helpful. Thanks again
MM

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I have the SOCOM and it is the most versatile guns I own. From 250gn to 600gn, cast lead to bronze solids, flatnose, HP and TSX's it's a great gun. It feeds from standard AR mags and is quite accurate as well. Marty TerWeeme built my upper, he's on the forum here. I think the powder capacity, the great feeding of the shouldered round and the choice of bullets makes it an easy choice. Let us know what works out for you.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well nothings happening till tax time Big Grin But hopefully then I can make a informed choice. Was looking at the 450 Bushmaster yesterday, and think I like the 458 Socom better.
Now new upper in SOCOM or SRH480 Ruger. Not putting that one to you guys just typing out loud jumping
MM

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some 458 SOCOM loads.

300 Barnes X-Bullet - Hodgdon Lil'Gun 33.0 gr.- 1901 fps
Remarks: OAL (inches): 2.26; 100-yard accuracy (inches): 1.75

300 Remington JHP - Hodgdon H-110 35.0 gr. -1631 fps
Remarks: OAL (inches): 2.02; 100-yard accuracy (inches): 2.00

300 Remington JHP - Hodgdon Lil'Gun 35.0 gr.- 2012 fps
Remarks: OAL (inches): 2.02; 100-yard accuracy (inches): 1.60

405 Remington JFP - Hodgdon Lil'Gun 29.0 gr. - 1607 fps
Remarks: OAL (inches): 2.08; 100-yard accuracy (inches): 1.30

500 Hornady RN - IMR IMR-4198 26.5 gr. - 1079 fps
Remarks: OAL (inches): 2.24; 100-yard accuracy (inches): 2.50

In the 458 SOCOM vs. 450 Bushmaster vs. the 50 Beowulf battle, I think the 458 SOCOM will turn out to be the most popular of the three.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote