Find
Notify
Tools

One for the AR15 experts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I just came into a Bushmaster Carbon 15. It's a recent production gun with forward assist, dust cover and standard AR internals.

Does anyone know for sure the relative durability of the composite lowers on these guns? I want to use it with my 458 SOCOM upper but thought I would check with you gurus first. Thanks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they are not highly recommended, but you might wait and see what the others say.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your not going to break anything with that caliber !. Ask Bushmaster .

space-age Carbon 15 composite molded Receivers for light weight and rugged durability.

Upper & Lower Receivers molded of durable, water resistant Carbon 15 Composite with Operational Controls same as any AR15 type firearm. Color Coded Safety Lever markings on both sides of Receiver for quick visual check of firing condition.

salute

Posts: 46 | Location: Between here and there  | Registered: 18 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I just came into a Bushmaster Carbon 15. It's a recent production gun with forward assist, dust cover and standard AR internals.

Does anyone know for sure the relative durability of the composite lowers on these guns? I want to use it with my 458 SOCOM upper but thought I would check with you gurus first. Thanks.

I don't think the 458 SOCOM is the issue. But I don't have much NICE to say about the "Carbon 15"!

Good luck. Bud! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I fooled around with one of the original PO Cabon 15s a long time ago and wasn't impressed. This is the newest model with forward assist and dust cover. Got my fingers crossed. I put an A2 stock on it already and that made it more tolerable. I'll put up a review after I get a few hundred rounds through it.

P.S. The trigger sucks. Standard Bushmaster trigger group but not too impressive.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All the stresses during firing are on the upper, so a polymer or carbon fiber composite lower is no problem.

I use PlumCrazy lowers; their triggers are excellent.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
All the stresses during firing are on the upper, so a polymer or carbon fiber composite lower is no problem.

I use PlumCrazy lowers; their triggers are excellent.

George

http://infinitearms.com/shoppi...&keyword=PCMFG-C15-1

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did a bit with one of the older carbon ones. wasn't much of a rifle, lots of problems overall impression was POS

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plumcrazy lowers are fast developing a reutation for failure. If I wanted light and simple I would use Cavalry Arms lowers.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
Plumcrazy lowers are fast developing a reutation for failure.

That's too bad because they're quite reasonably priced.

I hope they can work the bugs out of the carbon fibers because a reliable, feather light AR would be sweet!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
Plumcrazy lowers are fast developing a reutation for failure. If I wanted light and simple I would use Cavalry Arms lowers.

Please provide specific information (no anecdotes, please). I have seen a picture of a Carbon 15 lower (not PlumCrazy) that split at the mag well, but there were no details appended, i.e., how did it split, what happened to the upper, etc.).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Day two of a PD hunt and about 800 rnds and all is good so far. Got a week of shooting to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres a thread about them at Lightfighter. Maybe M4C. Pictures were included to back up the anecdotes. The stories and pictures weren't pretty.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Pictures are gone. The story is worrisome but like so many of the gun blow-ups onthe net (and in person), there's no way to determine precisely to what extent it was the gun or the ammo or other outside force.

Regardless, I don't think this will be the end-all and be-all of AR platforms for me.