Notify
Tools

Basic information on SKS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I'd like to know a bit about the SKS.
I just bought one for a plinker and don't have it yet, never owned any semi auto military stuff and thought I needed a semi auto 30/30 (thought I needed one to burn up the cheap ammo actually.)
Which ones are good, bad, desirable, undesirable, durable, weak, accurate or not just need some brief info is all.
Any quick tune ups that make them more shootable(accurate)?
Thanks in advance....

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Russian one's are the best. Solid milled receivers, and some have beautiful stocks. I've found that Wolf ammo shoots about the best in them. Mine will hold 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards....my Chinese, not as good.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ante Sniper
I'm getting a Norinco and from the pictures the stamping on it looks eastern block. Not sure though it may be Chinese for all I know.
quote:
Any quick tune ups that make them more shootable(accurate)?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norinco is also known as Northn China Inc....So it's made in China....unless as part of their quest to take over the work the Chinese have started making guns in Europe. Wink
The only special thing I did with mine was get the Sks sight adjustment tool. They are a fun, reliable, cheap to shoot gun, but not exactly designed for accuracy. What ever you do, DO NOT mess with the trigger group on the Norinco's......some of them are prone to go full auto, and I'm sure you do not want to end up with an unlicensed class III weapon.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the firing pin mechanism clean. If it sticks the gun can slam fire into FA. When you pull the bolt assembly out of the gun the firing pin should easily slide back and forth.

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tenmikemike
posted Hide Post
And you can buy an aftermarket firing pin/ spring kit (cheap) to fix that problem, should it worry you.

I have to say my Norinco (~1994 purchase) is reliable as all get-out, but I clean it after every shooting session (legacy of Marine Corps boot camp!)

NRA Endowment Life member

CZ 550 American 9.3 X 62 Mauser/ Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
CZ 550 Safari Classic .458 Lott

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 11 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I got the SKS I mentioned.
Took it to the range the other day and I must confess I am pleased. I shot a couple 3-4" groups at 100 yards consistantly 16" high and 6" right so I ordered and recieved the sight adjust tool.
Now that I have the adjuster I'm ready to go hit it again. My hopes are that i can shoot open sight 5 shot groups to about 3" at 100 yards which it looks like it will do.
I was impressed with the easy takedown, reminds me of a mini 14.