Find
Notify
Tools

Identify an old shotgun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
This shotgun was a wallhanger at my grandfathers. I don't have any idea what it's history is. It is an underlever side by side with hammers and damascus barrels. The splinter forend stays on the action when the barrels are removed. It is engraved on all outside sufaces. No manufacturer but has the following marks on the bottom of the breech end of the barrels:NON POURE BALLE, 17.4, An R with a star above it, an E over an L and a C or G inside an oval. Under other barrel is 18.0 are these indicative of choke?
Action is marked: 355, two stylized L's, 7086, another R with a star over it. There is also a symbol on both the breech and the barrels that looks sort of like an arrow.
Just curious if anyone knows who made this. I would assume it is french? If it helps, I can take some pics and post.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is Belgian. Liege proofed - where they speak French not Flemish. If you scroll through this you will find "pictures" of those markings you mention:

http://bilder.kammeret.no/albums/userpics/10110/Notes_o...other_small_arms.pdf

And if you scroll through this, if it was made after 1923, you might be able to date it too! Or not!

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=43594

Best of luck! "Non pour balle" means that there is choke in the barrel and it is not "safe" to fire a FULL DIAMETER solid ball cartridge.

17.4 and 18.0 are the internal diameter of the barrel in millimetres at the point where that measurement was made. Usually about 9" from the breech. It is not a choke constriction measurement.

The fact that it has no maker's name suggests that it was a "trade" gun. A local gunshop, or ironmonger, or similar, would buy these in ready made and either at time of sale have his name put on it or, less likely, put it on himself.

So you might see an identical gun made in the same factory for sale in England, or Scotland, or America or France etc., etc. All like "peas in a pod" save the gunshop or ironmonger name engraved upon it.

Hope it helps!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thanks endfieldspares! Great info.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote