New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling A Vintage Gun Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Everyone, I have a Remington Model 14 in excellent shape and want to mount a Marbles tang sight on it. The problem is that I need to drill a hole in the stock for the rear mounting screw, the front two screws are factory tapped. My question is that since this sight was offered as a factory option, am I lowering the value of this rifle by doing this?THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you will need to do your home work in my opinion. ifit is mint it should be sold to a collector, andyou could buy a good shooter for alot less. .. if in average conditon sure go ahead.. if it is in very good condition and you want to shoot it id make sure the sight is of the same vintage and quality as the gun.. a collector will know the difference of vintage of sight pretty quick.. if the hole pattern is different youll be heading downhill.. different sheens of blueing will also be a warningindecator to a collector.. invalue of oldies condition is everything.. a regualar pocketwarn morgan silver dollar is worth about10 bucks.. a mint perfect untouched version of the same coin can be 200,000 bucks.. once the rear sightis mounted it may leave marks that can devalue the gun so it will need to stay on, hence the carfull scrutiny of correct sight. my opinion only, i have quite limited firearm knowledge. but buy and sell or a regular basis in my own store.. that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffe, a cheap one at that. dave..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Dave, gun is in really nice shape and I want to use it. My 45 year old eyes can't focus on the iron sights well anymore so I thought the tang would be a good idea. The Marbles tang uses two factory tapped holes but you also need to drill a rear hole in the stock. I did find one in the same condition as the rifle so I think I'm going to go with it. Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote