Find
Notify
Tools

value of a peabody rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
A friend has a 1862 peabody. He does not know the caliber. It is a rolling block. He says it is in excellent shape. Does anyone know any thing about these guns. Any info would be greatly appericated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about them personally, but a Spanish one in what I would describe as about good antique, greyed metal, little or no bluing, sold for $860 in August 2010. There is one listed on the net at $1600 in what I would describe as maybe good condition. That should give you a ballpark idea. If the one your friend has is really in excellent (a lot of times someone else's "excellent" ain't necessarily so, if you understand what I'm saying) condition, I'd GUESS it should be worth in the $3000 range or so, IF you can find a buyer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found this tidbit posted about a Peabody on another site: note (not verified by me, take it for what it's worth)

quote:
The dang thing was mounted on a wall in my dad's study for like 40-years. A Peabody Rifle, which almost made it into Army trials in time for the Civil War.

My dad got it somehow as a kid back in 1950 and sent a letter to some gun magazine asking about it's origin and use.

Get this...

During the Army trials conducted in 1865 it was the only one of sixty-four breechloading rifles being evaluated to pass the final test, according to the letter my dad got back from the gun magazine.

Listen to this amazing description:

"It is interesting to note that of 64 breechloading firearms being evaluated by this board, tests reduced this number down to eight and finally to four. During these tests the arms were exposed to weather for 10 days, with daily drenchings of water to promote rust. The guns were left outdoors to become covered with ice and snow. Then they were quickly heated to a fairly high temperature so that all the muck was left intact."

"After this test only the Peabody and three other arms were left in the competition. Next they were tested for strength of action. A charge of 60-grains of black powder and three bullets, each weighing 450 grains, were loaded and fired. The charges were gradually increased to five bullets and 80 grains of powder. The Peabody was the only gun in the tests to survive the strain. Just to find out what would happen, five ounces of lead were fired in front of 120 grains of powder. The Peabody was not damaged and, needless to say, it was recommended for military service.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for your inputs. My neighbor will grestly appericate them.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolling block ?? That was a Remington design which was common for military and civilian rifles and handguns.
Do you mean swinging block where the block is hinged in the rear and the block swings down to reload ? That's the Peabody design.
The Peabody's external lockwork was changed to internal by the Swiss Martini.that in turn was adopted by the Brits along with a rifling design by Henry -becoming the Martini Henry British military rifle which is familiar to many !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My peabody is a 56-50 carbine, But in rimfire. Researching on getting it converted to centerfire so I can shoot centerfire black powder 56-50 ammunition. I bought 10 of the starling 56-50 C.F cases and 10 starline C.F. cases. From preliminary
measureing I will most likely have to use the 50-70 cases that will fit the chamber correctly.
The carbine itself is an even brown patina and the bore is approximately VG to excellent. The muzzle unfortunately looked to have been used to drive nails. Completely burred all the way around. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peabody's were made in Providence, RI. They sold several thousand to the Swiss in the late 1860's.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a well made " Modern Replica ", as well as , " Parts & Restoration " for original Rifles.

http://www.providencetoolcompanyllc.com/index.html
" Original Peabody Spanish 43 Conversions from rim-fire to center-fire!!
Peabody parts replicated to .001 of an inch accuracy to originals. You will need to send your rifle for the installation of replicated parts. Your rifle will be magnetic particle tested for cracks in receiver prior to installation. If cracks are found we will have to send back with out installation due to liability. Starting at $449.62 "

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips as they greatly appreciated. Thanks again.Frank