New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 03A3 question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm not aware of any 03A3's with a bolt stop...but some of the early 03's had them in addition to the cutt-off.

The bolt stop was originally designed to stop the bolt from sliding forward and preventing the loading of a clip into the clip slot.

I have no idea when they stopped putting them on the rifles but I believe it was very early on in production.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the answer to this question in Campbell's book: The 03 Springfield rifles Era.

The Bolt stop, along with its milled and drilled seat in the receiver, was eliminated starting in March of 1942 and was a part of a series of steps to simplify and speed up War Time production of the rifles.

This was NOT part of the follower...it was an actual spring loaded plunger that engaged a detent in the left locking lug and was designed to hold the bolt back so it would not slide forward when trying to insert a clip in the clip slot.

You will find info on the bolt stop on pages #10 and #114 of this book.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original bolt stop would only make sense if the early model followers did not have the squared rear face that stooped the bolt from going forward on an empty magazine.

You will occasionally see older 03 bolts that have the two detents on the left locking lug that were used with the bolt stops...but I personally have never seen a receiver with the bolt stop installed except in pictures.

Rick

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
If by bolt stop you mean the rear of the follower is cut at a 90 degree angle to prevent closing the rifle on an empty chamber, then yes they were ALL made that way. that doesn't work for sportsman, so the usual modification is to grind an angle in the rear of the follower sufficient to allow the bolt to slide over it even when a cartridge isn't present.

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote