Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle collectability question
 Login/Join

posted
My dad has a small collection of some pretty nice rifles. One in particular has had my interested for a long time. It's a Griffin & Hobbs Springfield action in 30-06. It's in very nice shape. Finish, wood and bore are all excellent. I have a general idea of what the going prices are for Griffin & Howe rifles of the same era and grade. From what little I can glean from researching there were 14 rifles made during the period of time that G&H was under the Griffin & Hobbs name. So in that respect it's somewhat rare. My question is does this make it the sort of rare gun that raises the value appreciably? Or is it more of the "oh neat - ho hum" kind of rarity?

Thanks for your input,

Nick

Posts: 15 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 26 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They started marking the Griffin & Hobbs rifles with serial number 1000 and the highest number in my database is number 1012, can you share your number with me?

From time to time I see a Griffin & Hobbs for sale and don't remember that it was for more than a regular G&H. The person who would most likely pay a premium would be a G&H collector and because of the expensive of collecting G&H's they are few and far between.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Michael,

I sent you am email a couple months ago concerning this rifle. I wasn't concerend with value at the time but now the Old Man has decided to seel off a few guns. I have pictures of the Hobbs rifle and anther G&H rifle that I will send as soon as I get back to my place. I'll send a bio of each rifle along as well so you'll have the information.

Nick T

Posts: 15 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 26 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick I'll look for it. A word of warning I'm not very good at and don't like to appraise custom rifles, seems I make both the seller and the buyer mad ;-). I'll help if I can and I hope you can get the two G&H's.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote