Notify
Tools

Re: Older Winchester Model 70 Pre War
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy Hardly,

I've just picked up the same gun, except mine was made in '40. I'm in the process of trying to find a Lyman receiver site for mine. From what I've seen the carbines are more rare than the rifles and can command a substantial premium with collectors. The 20" barrel will just make it handy for the dark timber. Enjoy, I am. Gary

Posts: 399 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snakelover - Early Model 70's were also made in "carbine" length with 20" barrels. The carbines were otherwise identical to the M70 standard rifles, right up to the integral front sight ramp. "Carbine" means a short-barreled rifle, of any type action.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is quite valuable. It's most valuable to you however as your father gave it to you. I would not modify it in any way. If it needs a recoil pad just get a slip on one for the range.

If you take it hunting and you fall make sure the rifle falls on something soft like your body.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote