Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 8 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
There is one for sale on Auction arms. You can see where Kalishnakov got hid idea for the saftey on the AK47. I have always wanted one and this one looks decent.

What is a realistic price for one of these? There isn't a whole lot of info available on them.

Remington 8

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That one looks pretty good.

The Model 8 was the first successful autoloading rifle in the US.
It was a John Browning patent, probably not the greatest gun ever made but very cool looking and it is one of those things, if you want it buy it.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I would expect to see these priced in the $400-600 range depending on the part of the country you are in. They are still good shooters also if cared for, I've got a Model 81 in 300 Savage that's a lot of fun.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
That one looks pretty good.

The Model 8 was the first successful autoloading rifle in the US.
It was a John Browning patent, probably not the greatest gun ever made but very cool looking and it is one of those things, if you want it buy it.

-Spencer

I don't want to start WWIII here but I always thought the Winchester Mod 1905 SL (for Self Loading) was recognized as the first successful autoloader - did the Remington beat it out, time wise?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I was toying with in my head whether or not the Winchester came before the Remington or vice versa.

Either way I am pretty sure these were the first two to be offered to the American public.

I do know it was designed by John Browning.

I have always thought it was a cool looking gun.

-Spencer