THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson serial number question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Smith 18-3 .22. On the bottom of the frame the serial number is 13K99xx and on the frame inside of the cylinder latch it is 12K99xx (both the 4 digit "x" numbers match). I've never seen this before. Is this common or some kind of factory screw up?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time S&W used both a frame number, under the crane, and a serial number on the butt. That hasn't been the practice for some time now.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have an exact production date but this gun is from approximately 1975, were they still doing it then?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is info I can't help with. I thought it was before '75 but I really don't know. There is a S&W forum that may help.
http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/

sorry

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a nice site and I was going to register, but I ran into among others "aol email addresses are not valid for registration on this site." I'm not sure why but my aol email is the only one I've got and I don't plan on changing it. Oh well.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the second number was to keep the "fitted "parts together, crane w/ frame.

Posts: 54 | Location: georgia | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote