New
Find
Notify
Tools

engraved Ithaca 1911 value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gun was shipped 1944 to British War Office. Purchased in Germany as new approx. 1950.
Full coverage engraving including mag butt plate and blued. Gorgeous gun. Numbers and stampings correct.
Where/how to get an appraisal?
Thanks, Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look for an auction house. They know appraisers who can inspect and valuate the gun.

Do NOT under any circumstances sell the gun to the appraiser (or to anyone they refer you to). It is an inherent conflict of interest and unethical for an appraiser to make an offer on something they have appraised.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post some decent pics and I can give you a working range of values. I buy and collect engraved guns. Any details such as who/where the engraving was done would be helpful. Signature? German or English? Etc.

I suspect the market value will be lower than you expect, but that is just a guess based on previous experiences with people who are not all that knowledgeable about engraved guns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will try to post pics. Original barrel stamped NP.
It was a milspec and I'm assuming unissued. Then was engraved and blued. I pulled the grips and looked all over for initials/name. It's full coverage so maybe there's a clue to the engraver on it somewhere. I just don't see it.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was almost certainly a "liberated" weapon. However, it could have been one used by a group as a going away gift for an officer, etc. Without some provenance, which apparently is not there, we'll never know. The fact that it was originally military issue does not significantly help it's value since it is no longer original, lacking the above information.

Without seeing it, AND assuming the engraving is 75 to 100% coverage of typical high German quality, I'd put it's value somewhere between $2500 and $4000, depending on quality of engraving, probably toward the lower end of those figures unless it is really well done AND it could be less, again, depending on the engraving. It is unlikely to be much more IMO, however, like anything, it's value depends on what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote