New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's the lever gun expert?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have access to a neat gun, but don't want to get too terribly burned.

It's a Win 1895. Serial number is in the 67K range, so I'm guessing 1912-ish.

Cool thing is that it's a 30-03 Takedown.

I have heard that the -03s were discontinued after the -06 came out in 1908. Do you think this is a barrel from another gun?

Bad news, it's in rough shape. Really rough, and a bunch of extra scope mounting holed down the flat of the reciever. I can get it cheap($350), but I don't know if it'd be worth it. The wood doesn't look original, but looks OK.

Posts: 1306 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I thought the -06 came out in 1906? Hence, -06.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 was from 1906, but the 1895 wasn't chambered for that round until 1908, from what I've read.

Posts: 1306 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have seen an 1895 in .30-03 and the guy was sighting it in with 50 year old Peters 220gr. factory ammo. This was in the mid 60's. I cringed! Sorry I can't give you advice on it's worth.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote