New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle/shotgun values
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some advice from persons in the know. Any idea of value on a DU 1984 Browning Sweet 16 with leather case, unfired. DU Ruger Red label 1988 12 guage. Both guns mint condition, inherited from in-laws. Colt Sauer .375 H&H, oil finish, some blemish on barrel. Winchester Model 70, 7 Rem Mag, first year rifle when Win. went back to claw extractor(pos. 1990?), unfired, hang tag. Any advice or values welcome. thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of your DU shotguns are desirable pieces because of the popularity of the underlying gun, but the DU emblem doesn't do much for them in the market. They're worth about what the same gun in a non-DU issue would be worth in similar condition. Unfortunately, the 12 gauge in the Red Label won't bring quite what a 20 or 28 will.

There's a following for the Sauer, and the caliber may help it a little. Its value depends on the overall condition. I don't find all that much interest in 90's era Model 70s, particularly in the 7mm RM (paraphrasing Yogi Berra, "that caliber is so popular that nobody wants one any more".) That doesn't mean that it's not worth anything, just that it won't bring a premium.

I wouldn't venture to put an acutal dollar figure on any of them except to say the the first three should all bring more than $1000 each (depending on condition of the Sauer) and the fourth will bring less than $1000.

You can go to gunbroker.com and look for prices on similar models, but remember, unless there is a firm bid the asking price is meaningless.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Stonecreek. Paid my deposit to Zim next year and need to start dumping some guns!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd put the first two at about a thousand, maybe a hair under for the Browning and maybe a hair over for the Ruger.

The Sauer should be worth at least $1250 and maybe more, but that depends a lot on how bad the "blemish" is.

I'd be hesitant to value the M70 since it's condition puts it more in the "collector" category, but if you've got box, papers, etc. I'd think it would bring about $600, but it could easily bring more on gunbroker. And....it might bring less, but as a shooter, in 99% or better, it should be worth about $500.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You really ought to determine just what model your Model 70 is, before trying to assess a value on it. If it is indeed a first year Classic, that would make it a Super Grade, as these were the first non-Custom Shop rifles, and were introduced in 1990. The Classic Featherweights were introduced in 1992, but weren't made in 7mmRM to my knowledge. The standard Classic Sporter was introduced in 1994.

If it is indeed a Super Grade, and is in new condition, it is worth a lot more than a Classic Sporter.

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mudstud, thanks for the reply. Checked my rifle and it is a Super Grade model. I ordered from Joe McBride at McBrides Gun Shop in Austin, Tex before they were on the market. When I heard Win. was going to make the SG with the claw ext, I told Joe to get me one but only if the wood was great. Far as I know, I got the first one in his shop and the wood was great! What do you think it's worth? Unfired, hang tag but no box. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally shy away from valuing guns "over the phone" so to speak, as a gun should be seen, or at least properly evaluated by a professional. However, I will tell you what the latest edition of the Blue Book says (and I don't necessarily place a lot of stock in the Blue Book either!) The Blue Book says that a 98% Classic Super Grade is worth $900, with a 10% premium for mag calibers. It also mentions that NIB specimens are going for from $1100 to $1500. A NIB specimen would of course also have all papers, etc. Keep in mind that the market for Model 70's is still quite volatile, and the dust hasn't settled yet. Furthermore, there are three variations of Classic Super Grades, and I don't know which ones are generally perceived to be the most desirable. Personally, I think the latest ones, the Super Grade III's are the nicest, but that may be just me. I think that this will give you an idea of the price range you are looking at.

You might also look at Gunbroker or AuctionArms to see what similar rifles are actually selling for right now. Don't be deceived by BuyItNow prices etc. Only actual bids and actual selling prices count, not somebody trolling for a sucker. Any gun is only worth what another individual is willing to pay for it! Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote