Find
Notify
Tools

Value of 1940 Mauser P-08 Luger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any clues as to the value of this rig would be appreciated:
1940 (chamber date)9mm Luger Pistol - serial #1277G Eagle 655 - -Matching magazine 1277G,a second (non matching) magazine, brown Krieghoff grip panels, mint condition,99%. Brown holster, near mint - Karl Bocker, Waldborl 1940, WaA195 P-08 Tool E/655.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Would really need some good close up pics of the piece to draw a good conclusion. Try the following link.
http://www.lugerforum.com/

Great advice to be had on that site. Have to know if all the parts including the internal parts are all carrying the last 2 digits of the serial no., so that it is all matching including the mag. as has been stated.
Also is the pistol refinished in any way?
What is on the rear toggle half? ie: S42,42,etc,
Look at the mag. bottom very carefully to be sure it was not ground down and restamped to match the pistol. Many tricks exist to raise the price of luger pistols.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob - finish is original - - "42" stamped on top of rear toggle, I don't have the gun in my possession to check all the internal part numbers or the magazine. It belongs to an aunt, whose husband was a collector, with numerous military firearms & other memorabilia. I've seen his collection, & he has some pretty impressive firearms, so I suspect this one is authentic. I took most of the above description from one of his notebooks from 15 -20 years ago, & he listed "rig value in this condition" at $2695. She was recently offered $3,000 for the gun, & asked me to help her determine it's value.
I quickly realized I was in over my head when I discovered how many variables there are in these Lugers - - I'm used to shotguns/rifles, where age/serial #, condition, make & model are all you need to get a reasonable value guesstimate.
I tried the lugerforum, but can't seem to access the many posts/threads. Thanks for your response, & any additional advice you might have. BTW - following the serial # of the magazine in his notes was "eagle 37 twice, 122 Brown Krieghoff grip panels scarce with these grips"
Thanks again.

Eli

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Luger collector, however $3,000 seems like a fair price. If however that price seems "short" of your goal, the only market to determine it's value is at auction.

I'd place it on GunBroker with plenty of pictures, $3,000 reserve and see where it goes.

Regards,

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

Eli