New
Find
Notify
Tools

prewar mod 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a prewar mod70 in 30Gov06. It is a barreled action with all the bottom metal, mag. box, and receiver screws. The bottom of the barrel says 1906. Unfortunately the receiver has been drilled and tapped. Are the period factory stocks hard to find? It appears to be in good condition and I am in a quandary as to selling it or putting it in the safe. I am not a collector. In front of the 1906 on the barrel is stamped 41. I checked the serial# and it is 1941 Manufacture.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking of selling, send me some pictures.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch- PM to you.

Posts: 78 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes a pre-war stock will be VERY difficult to find!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I just picked up a prewar mod70 in 30Gov06. It is a barreled action with all the bottom metal, mag. box, and receiver screws. The bottom of the barrel says 1906. Unfortunately the receiver has been drilled and tapped. Are the period factory stocks hard to find? It appears to be in good condition and I am in a quandary as to selling it or putting it in the safe. I am not a collector. In front of the 1906 on the barrel is stamped 41. I checked the serial# and it is 1941 Manufacture.
Butch

Butch-

I humbly suggest you just stick it in the safe. I doubt you need the money you'd get from a sale. It doesn't eat, and it isn't gonna run away from home and join a druggie sect. It will always be ready to help you if you ever need it. And it's kinda like a good woman...can warm your heart when that's most needed. I've had one pretty much just like it (SN 20,XXX)in my safe for 40-odd years, and I hope to have it thrown in the box with me one of these days.

I found two factory stocks for mine...one brand new, and the other one all free-hand carved (with a sharpened nail) in a Utah hunting camp. Ugly as home-made sin, but a very good accuracy-producing handle.

When God smiles on you like that, smile back graciously and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Stocks can be run onto once in a while. The nicer the one you eventuually have is, the better another beat up old cheapie one works out for field use.

Though it won't look right at the tang, you can probably use some epoxy filler, a chisel, and your skill, and make a working stock for it from a more modern "Classic" stock.

Congratulations pardner!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just re-read your post. The gun has been drilled and tapped already so you don't have to worry about really ruining the value. You have the makings of a GREAT rifle, not that it isn't already great, by putting a Tilden safety and a nice stock on it.

Unless you need the money either keep it int he safe or make a nice rifle out of it. If you get rid of it you will be kicking yourself in a couple years when you realise that trying to find another one is just about impossible. I sold a nice 1951 M70 that was in rough shape a couple years ago. It was all original but the stock had a pad and the blueing was wore off in a couple spots. I picked it up for $500 and was so proud of selling it the same day for $650 and making $150 in an hour. That was until I remembered that I wanted to make up a M70 in 35 Whalen. Since then I have not been able to find a nice original M70 action that the rest of the rifle was in rough enough shape that I could rip apart without feeling guilty about it.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
I humbly suggest you just stick it in the safe.

I do agree on this one, I feel the greatest butchering that can be done to a classic stock is to put a pad on it. But at this point you do have a rifle that wont get hurt in the field.

Lots of stock makers out there could duplicate the bedding and overall structure of the stock. It will cost but it would be worth hanging on to. Maybe a pad was added but the stock not cut?
If that was the case You just need the original butt plate, and if it was not cut over 1/2" in length... Well it still would be close the extra hole drilled will depreciate it but filler screws can be put in and still look nice or buy the mount that it was tapped for.

I bought a prewar standard that has an ugly gap of wood missing for a peep that is no longer with the rifle. I will deal with it and will eventually find the correct sight to make it look period.
If i were you I would keep it.

Cal30

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Sorry I was one the wrong page thinking i was responding to a question on a prewar supergrade. Roll Eyes

I feel like an ass
BUT I would still keep it. nilly

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote