New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Colt 1911 A 1 value
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine has the numbered 60 Colt 1911 A 1 in mint condition. Which could be its present value?

[ 07-04-2003, 19:44: Message edited by: nainital ]

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Auction arms .com or guns america .com and look at similar models and see what it is worth. If it is an original 1911, ww2 vintage it could be worth a bunch!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy; If the serial no is 60,it is either a fake or fairly valuble. Either way it would predate the second world war. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
If it is number 60, then it would have to be a 1911, made in 1912, not a 1911-A1. If it is 1911 number 60 and in mint condition, it would be worth around $5500 to $6000. Assuming it is a 1911, number 60, all original, oversize "United States Property" marking.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I was sort of wondering about the value of my fathers 1911. It made the trip with Perishing to Mexico, then WWI, then issued to my father in 1938.
Went with him on the Doolittle Tokyo Raid, where the slide got so rusted it was replaced with a Parkerized slide. He carried it through out his service in Europe to the end of WWII, his career in SAC (until they replaced it with a silly little 38 spec.)when he retired he bought it.
He wrote up a letter describing his knowledge of the pistol, which I keep a copy in the case with the pistol.
Any guesses as to value?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf: it is not a fake, it was my friend father�s and never was altered in any way. Thanks for pointing that it can�t be a 1911 A 1 but a 1911.
Not for sale anyway.
Thanks again

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I DO agree that it is a keeper and a nice one at that. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<XTARHEEL>
posted
If it is an original as yoy describe it, put it in a safe, it is very valuable. Also I was in BA in February on a hunting trip, and from what I heard from our guide, you should have two locks on the safe or have the guards at the tomb of San Martin watch over it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
XTARHEEL: you are right. Petty crime is on the rise here. Unfortunately the official position seems to pursue legitimate gun owners (or guns) instead of thieves. Worst of all this is directly inspirated by your gun grabbers, the most notorious one being the Washington Post, a liberal think tank which has more than an interest in several of our newspapers. Join the N.R.A.! you could be the next. See Bertold Brecht on similar lines.

[ 07-11-2003, 00:49: Message edited by: nainital ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Further news about the Colt numbered 60: no less an authority that Marty Huber had records that identified that pistol. I discovered this in an old guns magazine. It seems Colt made 10.000 guns as an initial batch sold to the Argentine government. Numbers differed from the main series and begun at 001. The contract was signed 1927, well identifyng the arm as a 1911 A 1.
Regards