Find
Notify
Tools

Need help dating a Winchester 1897 12 ga. shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted
I'm trying to date an old shotgun my dad gave me. It is a Winchester 1897.

It has a "C" over the serial number and the number seems to start with an L "L06750" Directly on top of the barrel, right at the receiver it just has the number "12" and on around the barrel on the left side it has "Full" stamped in very small letters. It also has a list of patent dates on the top of the barrel and the last date is June 14. 98

Thanks

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of mills
posted Hide Post
need more information like how much blueing is left , is it rusted, pitted? how is the condition of the wood?how is the bore? is it a 12 or 16? or go to gun broker.com look for similar guns in the condition yours is in. i hope this helps.

Posts: 33 | Location: bonita springs fl | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldCenterChurch:
I'm trying to date an old shotgun my dad gave me. It is a Winchester 1897.

Take it slowly... ask her to join you for a coffee and bagel... just let her know you are interested in her.... without being obsessive... offer to take her hunting. If she is a Winchester like the ones I have come to know, she loves hunting!!! lol

Uh... that's not what you meant...is it? sofa

Seriously, this is from the History Timeline from the Whinchester Website. At the bottom of the page it reads:

quote:
If your question remains unanswered, please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711

I would hope they could help you.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sell it. It is only worth what someone will pay for it is the way things go for me. I found out, using the serial number (the "L" is a incomplete "1"), that it was made in 1900. It had been in a cabinet in the garage! Needless to say, I have brought it inside and am considering having a gunsmith clean it up a bit. Nothing major.

Mike, how do you get creamcheese out of a shotgun receiver??? homer I hate it when that happens! Big Grin

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldCenterChurch:

Mike, how do you get creamcheese out of a shotgun receiver??? homer I hate it when that happens! Big Grin

It sounds like the date went well!!!. It's a match made in heaven!!! clap

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote