THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Browning Safari (not BAR) with a factory oil finish stock?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Safari (not BAR) with a factory oil finish stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could anyone please confirm what I was told today that one could order from Browning a oiled stock finish rather than the high gloss? Rifle is a mint long extractor that I was told this was done as a special order in a nice oil finish at the request of typically African bound hunters. The checkering which looks perfect so would have me believe this is not a refinish but a factory finish.
Appreciate the responses.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that I could ever find. I have a saltwood Safari Mauser and have had no luck in finding one other than eBay. The ones I have seen for sale there all had recoil pads. I have temporarily stocked mine with a Boyd's laminate stock. There is a place in Canada which sells a lot of obsolete Browning parts but they have long since sold out of the Safari Mauser stocks. Thanks...

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones made in Finland had a hand rubbed laquer finish.Looks like oil.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biker

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly? it's the high gloss that bothers you? I'm not fond of a high gloss finish on gunstocks either. If you want to dull the shine into a nice glow get some OOOO steel wool and remove the shine then take some hard paste wax and apply it with the wool, buff with a soft cloth - shine is gone - looks like "oil". FWIW --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked in the Eastman Browning book, he states that "All rifles were finished in oil until about 1967 when the high gloss finish came along". I think that should mean that most if not all long extractor magnums would have the oil finish as that is about the time that they made both changes. He also states that the european sold guns had a flatter finish on the stock and metal than the american guns. I hope this helps

Posts: 30 | Location: Casper Wyo | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote