Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to look for info on civil war musket
 Login/Join

posted
I want to help out an uncle in gathering info on a family piece which is a civil war era musket. We've pretty much exhausted internet searches and I would like to know if there is a published work dealing with some of the obscure private gun makers from that era and earlier, or if someone here has some expertise in early muskets. If you can send me somewhere I would appreciate knowing that. Rifle belonged to a 2nd Seargent, Company B, First Regement, Virginia Cavalry. Enlisted in Virginia, 1861. Musket is marked on the side lock as "Henry Parker Warranted". Barrel is marked "D. Marker". Octagon bore, approximately 50 cal. Some info has been gathered from the internet about the Marker family in Virginia and Maryland and their gunsmith background in late 1700's and early 1800's. We would like to know more if we can find additional information as to when and where made.

Rick L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aim4thefur,

I found a litle more on the makers for your uncle's gun.

Henry Parker of Trenton NJ was a 1/2 stock Percussion rifle builder and Lock Maker in the 1860's era.

Daniel Marker was a flint/percussion rifle builder in Sharpsburg, Maryland (1797-1820 & 1824-1832) and Martinsburg, Virginia (1822-1824 & 1833-1855).

Daniel's sons Daniel Marker Jr., and Paul, were gun makers in Sharpsburg, Maryland until 1835 - when they moved to Versailles, Ohio. They were in the gun making business there until ca. 1864.

James (son of Daniel Jr.) was in gun making in Sharpsburg 1833-1855 and his son, Jacob, took over after his retirement or death in 1855.

Hope this helps out a little.

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote