Find
Notify
Tools

What is this? I need some help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted
I need some help identifying a shotgun I have.

It's an old 20 gauge break action double-barrel that my father gave me. It was given to him several years ago by one of my Dad's old Navy running-mates from West Virginia.

Here's what's inscribed on the gun in various locations:

FOX B - Series H
D397043

Proof Tested 20 Gauge
3 Inch Chamber

Savage Arms
Nestfield Mass USA
Patent 3,005,263

It also has the bust of a fox in some leaves etched on the bottom.

The gun is in near mint to mint condition. I've seldom shot it, and I don't believe there's a scratch on it anywhere.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fox was one of the sub-brands Savage used to have, much like they have their Stevens line today.

Pretty plain and utilitarian.
Shoot it and have fun.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't really need it or use it for anything. For the shape it's in now and I figure it's already got at least 30+ years under it's belt, maybe more, I may just leave it sitting on the rack for another 50 years or so until my grandkids post here, Saeed willing, with the same question.

Wink

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're pretty clunky feeling but are a strong action. If you've cleaned it, it should be in fine shape for your kids or grandkids to hunt small game or birds with.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote