New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L61-R Finnbear - any good?
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen,

I am looking for a used .270 Sako to shoot and I notice on the auction sites that the L61-R finnbears seem to have lower asking prices than most Sakos. Is this model not up to the usual Sako standards? Is there something that I need to know about the model? As you can see, I know very little about Sakos. Thanks for any info.

docjones

Posts: 16 | Location: Kooskia, Idaho | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're a piece of trash, but if you'll tell me where you can pick this one up at a bargain, I might help take a sorry gun off of the market. [Wink]

Actually, the L61R is regarded by most to be superior to the later AV and Model 75, particularly if it is a pre-1972 model. The reason you may see the L61R priced lower than the current Model 75 is simply that the current guns sell at an inflated price and they are new rather than used -- and some people just won't consider a used gun.

The L61R was imported by three different importers: Firearms International up until 1972, Garcia from 1972 until the early '80's, then Stoeger until the A-series (very slightly modified) replaced it. I like the FI's because the stocks and barrels are a little trimmer and lighter. My son has a Garcia, and although it is a little heavier, its wood is nice and it is very accurate. I have a Stoeger in .300 Winchester and have no complains about it.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
Thanks for the information - it was very helpful. Now I just have to scrape together some money.

docjones

Posts: 16 | Location: Kooskia, Idaho | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a couple, love them both. [Big Grin]

Posts: 174 | Location: N.E. Oregon | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote