Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can any one tell me about this shotgun.
 Login/Join

posted
Have this shotgun and dont know any thing about it and cant find any info on it. On the side it says; J.stevens Arms & tool Company/Chicopee Falls,mass.USA/Browning pats.feb.7.1505.aug.27.1907. Any info. will help

Posts: 25 | Location: Arizona, USA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
you might try at www.shotgunworld.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzDeerSlayer:
Have this shotgun and dont know any thing about it and cant find any info on it. On the side it says; J.stevens Arms & tool Company/Chicopee Falls,mass.USA/Browning pats.feb.7.1505.aug.27.1907. Any info. will help

Does it look like this one? If so, I can tell you a bit about it.

Post back.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
that shotgun does look like it but with different wooden parts.

Posts: 25 | Location: Arizona, USA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You might try http://www.faqfarm.com and go to the firearms/stevens section tons of answers to your stevens questions,The J Stevens Arms & Tool Co.changed names in 1913 to J Stevens and dropped the arm and tool. I have an old J Stevens Arm & Tool Co. singleshot 12 gauge and it says 1913..

It's a helluva thing killin a man, You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

www.reloadingandlevergunning.blogspot.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage bought Stevens in 1928 and that looks to be a Stevens version of the Savage 28A. Made from 1928 to 1931. The bolt ,etc were related to the Browning A5. The Savage 720 was the autoloader version of the A5. I think I'm correct but this is a brief look before work.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
savage 28 aka stevens 520

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TrapperP:

I've got one that looks like that and I'd appreciate whatever you could tell me about yours. Does it have a locking lug on top of the bolt that fits in a rectangular (sort of squarish) cutout in the top of the receiver?

Mine's a 16 ga. 'Ranger' with no other marking. I assume it a store brand of some major manufacturer's model. It's checkered and has has a solid rib.

Any info's appreciated. Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Stevens 520, also produced for Sears & Roebuck (Ranger) and Montgomery Ward (Western Field) are neat & interesting if primitive pump guns, lots of fine machine work and craftsmanship characteristic of the day (teens-20s). I just picked up this very nice specimen:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stevens also made some rare trenchguns that also had that receiver configuration. Many have had their handguard/bayonnet lugs removed. The telltale would be three, evenly spaced, transverse knotches under the barrel, fore of the forend, where the old parts used to attach.