Find
Notify
Tools

Antique pistols-identification assistance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Friend of mine was doing some clean-up at his mother-in-law's house. Came across a box of antique handguns and would like some assistance in identifying what they are. More photos are available but hopefully I can post basic photos.

#1)

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First one probably European.
Second seems to have some writing ? That and the third probably Allen &Thurber pepperbox or copies thereof , circa 1850

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I would guess they are all European. There were many pepperboxes in production simultaneously, of which the Allen & Thurber was only one. The Allen & Thurbers had their name rather prominently stamped on them...at least mine sure did.

The pepperboxes are said by some to have been the most popular repating pistols of the 1830-1840 decade.

(Some just have "Allens Patent" stamped on the hammer and the patent date (1837) stamped on one of the flats between the barrels. They came in a number of different calibers and varying numbers of barrels...some 5 shot some 6 shot.)

It is the waist gun (the one with the spring clip, intended to be tucked into the waist-band or sash) which I find most interesting. I suspect it may be a bit older than the others.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#4 is a pinfire, that always says Belgian to me.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote