Notify
Tools

Pre-war Model 70 Carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all,

I posted on this carbine a couple years ago, when I was on a hunt for a Lyman 48. I was on Cabelas gun library when I saw that they had a similar rifle made in '36. Mine was crafted in '39. Now here is my question, the cabelas gun has been drilled and is wearing a scope. Mine is not drilled.

Are they nuts to be asking $4550.00 for theirs?

If not, what do you think my rifle might be worth, it's in better shape metal wise than the cabelas gun.

Thanks,
Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the premium price asked is because of the very low S/N! Cabela's Winchester guns are priced at the upper end. Though they seem to move them. The price on the Model 70 has gone up, and the rarer models more so. I would value a Pre' War carbine chambered in .30 Gov't06 that has not been drilled or altered at between the $3,000 to $4,000 range.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$4550 seems a little high but like was said Cabelas is always high on there collector guns. The early date is a premium but I would think it is more than offset by the extra holes.

I bought a 30/06 carbine from Cabelas in Owatana MN. about 8 years ago for $1350 IIRC. This was a type 3 gun though. The last carbine I bought was a .257 transition for $2200 about 3 years ago.

My first carbine is an emmaculant pre-war 250/3000. I have seen these listed, who knows if they are actually selling, from $5500 to $7500. I owuld think that a 250/3000 would be worth considerably more than a '06 with extra holes.

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Reelman1,

I saw a .250 carbine on a sight about a year ago. They were asking @5500 if I remember right and it was beat up.

Jewell you have there. Post a picture!

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to dig it out of the safe one of these days and take some pictures of it. Did I forget to say that the 250/3000 is also a Super Grade? The problem with a Super Grade Carbine is that unless you have an invoice from Winchester there is no way of proofing that it is an actual Super Grade and not a standard that someone put a SG stock on. So without proof I would expect it to be worth what a Carbine is worth plus a couple hundred for the SG stock.

I think I saw the same carbine you did on the internet last year as well. I remember seeing it and wondering what mine is worth.

FYI my first pre-64 was an original .22/3000 (yes that's what it said on the barrel!) and it was original according to the WInchester Museum. I was able to sell it for enough to start a good M70 collection. About 3 months ago I had a gentleman approach me at a gun show wanting to sell me a M70 .25/35 carbine. It was WAY more than I wanted to pay for a rifle, even such an odd ball. A month later I saw one jsut like it on GunBroker for $12,500 IIRC. I assume that it's the same rifle as what are the odds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the Model 70 Carbine! They are fairly rare, and I have seen some fake ones out there. I ran accross a fake one chambered in .250/3000 Savage at the O.G.C.A. show back when it was at the IX Center. The front site must be intragal with the barrel, and not welded on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that Cabelas dropped the price on the above listed carbine to $3495.00 If anyone is interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bo, YOu are correct about the front sight. Anybody looking at getting into M70 collecting or even contemplating buying a rare M70 should track down a copy of Roger Rules book. Last I new the book was out of print and even the book is getting collectable and expensive but it is well worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
reelman1 I concur the Rule book is the "Bible" for the Model 70 Collector!

posted Hide Post
Hey Men,

I love them ole mod 70's myself. I'm looking for a std grade Roberts. It must be unaltered and all original. It shouldn't be perfect, but very nice as I intend to hunt with it. Carefully for sure! If anyone has a line on one please let me know. Call my cell if you like

605 201 2904

Thanks,
Mike

Posts: 15 | Location: Eastern South Dakota | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Dacotah,

I'll keep an eye out over in WY/CO on my travels.

Gary

posted Hide Post
GoWyo,
Thanks for the help. Just passed on a nice std .257 roberts couple of weeks ago on GB. It sold for 2900 something. I've been studying them for many years and it never fails to amaze me what their bringing today! Others that are intereting to watch are 52's, 75's, 69's, 63's, 62's, 61's,43's hell all of the 22's for that matter.

Every day I regret selling a small Mod 70 collection and other winchesters 12's, 52's 101's etc 15 years ago to help finance a new home. Dumb!!! Its been hell trying to replace them and other wins. But am getting it done painfully. Oh well, I'm fortunate that my grandson will benefit some day.

Keep me in mind in your travels for that .257. If theres anything specific you are in need of, let me know. I get around a fair bit and spend a lot of time at the screen.

Mike

Posts: 15 | Location: Eastern South Dakota | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The odds of finding a .257 at a sho are just about nill! If you really want one you will have to haunt the better gun shows, watch on-line, or watch Gun List.

posted Hide Post
Just spent better part of half a day at SD's biggest show of the year. Found one Roberts and got a line on a pre war thats supposed to be excellant/original with the exception of the rear bridge being drilled. Have a date to see next Sat.

The one at the show is a 48 vintage, barrel and floor plate reblue. Stock refinished,good job though. Price was 2k. Passed.

Guess I'm a little picky. Hey, in you guys minds whats a straight 95% std. roberts worth in todays market. I spend a good deal of time watching then auction sites and the more well known dealers also including Cabelas. Cabelas is fair amount higher than everyone else but the sell lotssss of mod 70's.