New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ghost and the Darkness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any idea what rifle Val Kilmer carried in the movie?

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what I was able to find out about John Patterson.

"Patterson writes in his account that he wounded the first lion with one bullet from a Martini-Enfield chambered in .303 caliber. This shot struck the lion in the hindquarters, but it escaped. Later, it returned at night and began stalking Patterson as he tried to hunt it. He shot it with a .303 Lee Enfield several times, tracked it the next morning, and found it dead. The second lion was shot five times with a .303 Lee Enfield, but it got up and charged him in severely crippled condition, whereupon he shot it three more times with the Martini-Henry carbine, twice in the chest, and once in the head, which killed it. "

I think in the movie Val Kilmer carried a Martini-Enfield. All I know is that whatever rifle he was carrying, it didn't look big enough to me!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Val Kilmer carried a Lee Speed in the movie except in the thicket scene where he was carrying a Farquharson.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Huvius regarding the movie.

Check out www.nitroexpress.com as they have a forum devoted to the Lee Speed. Might be of interest to you.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next time you have time to visit the Field Museum in Chicago stop in and see Patterson's cats.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote