New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been out of guns for awhile but saw a sporter 03 springfield in 6.5x06. what is this. Is it worth $500.00. Price in sporting good store.Looks real nice but I don't know the caliber or what its for.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's a wildcat cartridge that popped up on some "custom" rifles in the mid-sixties when converting Springfields and Mausers was so popular. (Happens that a friend of mine had a 6.5x06 based on a Springfield) In simple terms it's half-way between a 25-06 and a 270, sometimes encountered with a rather sharp shoulder angle. To my knowledge no factory ammo exists for it so plan on reloading and jumping through a couple hoops making the brass proper.

It certainly is no collector and whether it's worth that kind of money depends on how much you like it, and/or the quality of the work. Some of those rifles aren't worth $275, some are worth over a $1000. Hard to say as they are each unique.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt, I think I'll pass on that. It probably is worth 275 but the store has a big mark up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eraser-
First of all, if it's a 6.5-06 odds are it's a custom barrel which means somebody put time and money in it. I would look closer at this rifle, especially if you like Springfields like I do. I've had a couple of 6.5-06's and they both shot great. Making cases is simple, just run a 25-06 case over an expander button in a 6.5-06 die and presto! Also, both my 6.5's were extremely accurate often shooting under 3/4" for 3 shots at 100 yds. That kind of accuracy works for me in any hunting rifle. Just my .02.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it is one of the customized rigs from a big-time outfit like Griffin & Howe, then it is worth whatever it is worth as a shooter. This depends on the quality of the work and the material in the stock.

I believe that 6.5-06 ammunition is available from A-Square, but I wouldn't consider buying the gun unless I intended to handload for it.

MAKE SURE that it is a "high-number" receiver. If you don't know what that is, consult a reference for numbers.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-06, 256 Newton (the factory American version), and 6.5x65 are all very similar in dimensions and balistically would all be the same.

A custom barrel was mentioned earlier, but most of these type rifles were made with a custom barrel, but usually one from 20-60 years ago.

If you like the rifle, the cartridge isn't that much of a problem. If you don't forget about it.

Most reloading books have data for one of the three name sakes but they should all have the same or similar data. Keep in mind this rifle could have pressure issues if it's been rode hard and put away wet so to speak.

If you want this cartridge money is better spent on a modern production action. I am not going to claim that an 03 isn't tough, but modern metalergy is a little more precise.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been thru two 6.5-06 custom rifles. Both were a lot of fun, both shot well, and both went to other shooters who liked the guns well enough to offer obscene amounts of money for them - something like $450.00. With a 6.5-06 you have a "Thinking Man's" .270 WCF that is a heck of a lot of fun, BUT it is still a wildcat. Cases are easily made by expanding a .25-06 or squeezing down a .270 WCF.(Just discovered three boxes of .270 brass left over from my last 6.5-06 endeavor) Yep, a 6.5-06 is a lot of fun, but you can sink a lot of money iinto that hole too!!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
No.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!