Find
Notify
Tools

2 barrel set Mod. 12
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Just bought this and thought I'd share it with y'all.

The case is falling apart. It's in bad shape. The barrels are solid ribs. They are nice and tight with plenty of adjustment left.

Question is should I see about restoring the set and/or the case? I intend to use the gun.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. I would like to know more, assuming 12 ga. but gauge, serial #, barrel lengths and chokes, and hopefully both barrels serial # to the gun. I am guessing 30" full and maybe 28" mod. As far as restoring, NO WAY. From the picture, they look better than 80 or 85% to me. You'll kill the value if you ever want to resell them. Depending on how much you hunt em, just take good care of them and they probably won't look much different in 10 years and be worth more. As far as the case, that might be a good restore project, but if it were me I would probably put it on the shelf and get a different case.

By the way, I grew up in Katy until moving to Minneapolis after college. An old sweetheart of mine lived in Sugarland, Sweetwater if I remember correctly.

Also, if you want to sell this nice set, let me know!!

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
rusty,
Keep the Winchester as is, but if you like the old cases they show up on ebay all the time. Restoring a case in that condition is expensive. Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Prewar70,
The serial numbers don't match the action serial is 86XXXX. It is a 12 ga. full and modified. I appreciate your advice.

Sugarland just a few miles down the road. Oh, and it 76 degrees here a 4pm Central. Stay warm up there!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote