New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher-Schoenauer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have Mannlicher-Schoenauer that I can't find in any of my books. It has a 24" barrel with a full length stock, double triggers, chambered in 30-06, serial number is 1411. Any help on approx. value and year of manufacture would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is written on the top of the receiver ring, the left side of the action, and is there a 2-digit number on the left side of the chamber?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24" full length?
that sounds custom.
most of the mannlicher stocked were carbines.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On top it says
Made in Austria
patent
Mannlicher
Schonoenauer
KAL: 7-62x63

On the side it says
Oesterr.Waffenfabr.-Ges.Streyr

No two digit number.
Thanks

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like something built. I would bet it is a 1924 model. The 1924 model was available in 7.62 X 63. It just might be a custom rifle made up from a military rifle action. Since the model numbers normally appeared on the receiver ring, the lack of a number there may indicate a military receiver. i have never seen a factory 24" mannlicher stock.
check this site for pics to help id it. the caliber is a metric equal to the 30-06 but i'd have a qualified smith to check it out.
SM models

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
sounds like something built. I would bet it is a 1924 model. The 1924 model was available in 7.62 X 63. It just might be a custom rifle made up from a military rifle action. Since the model numbers normally appeared on the receiver ring, the lack of a number there may indicate a military receiver. i have never seen a factory 24" mannlicher stock.
check this site for pics to help id it. the caliber is a metric equal to the 30-06 but i'd have a qualified smith to check it out.
SM models

I'm sure KurtC will tell us the history. I doubt that it was ever a military rifle. To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY country that ever used the M/S as a military rifle was Greece, which i-used the M1903 chambered for the 6.5X54mm round. I have a couple of those, and due to the short receiver and magazine length, I see no way that the M1903 action could be made to accept the .30/.06 (7.62X63mm) round.

Yet the markings seem to indicate a rifle made after WWI, and made for the European market, not for Stoeger.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was made between 1924 and 1938. Fullstock was an option on the 23.5" barrel, I've owned several like that.

The primary way to distinguish between a commercial M-S action and a military is the straw-colored bolt lock on the right side, just behind the bolt handle. The military actions didn't have them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The markings you describe make your Mannlicher a M1925 (European development of the M1924) The M1924 does not have the caliber marking on it, as ALL M1924s were .30-06. With the M1925, Steyr began their now common practice of placing the caliber on the receiver ring. Also, the M1924/1925 action is physically larger than the M1903/05/08. You will find at least three variations of the M1925, including two with markings defining them as a High Velocity Model, in German script, of course.

LLS
Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote