posted
Ok, looking to identify newest addition:

Model 1873
Blackpowder frame
5 1/2" bbl
.38 special
serial number 49xxx
hard plastic grips

from what I can dig up, looks like the frame is dated to 1879, but the barrel has to be a later modification (the .38 special wasn't till 1899?), but looks to be a factory barrel. The font on the '.38 SPECIAL' looks to be just a tad bit lighter so it could be a take-off from something else? No patent dates on frame, but all serial numbers match, and have no suffixes.

I'll try to post pix up.

I sure would like to shoot it Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ran into this type setup before,it was nothing /ordinary for colt to take old original us army saa guns and change barrels,parts,etc.A gunsmith showed me a book that he had different markings for different colt inspecters of the different dates of smithing and changing,if you can find a colt man/knowledgable about old colts/ that has this book and is knowledgable in this area they can look in the book and tell exactly when the barrel was changed if it was done by colt there will be the little code mark.Hope this helps,I was told the old colts are strong and fine to shoot,I cut my teeth as a baby on a old original colt nickle saa army in 38.special caliber 71/2in.barrel aro8und 1965 and i have all ways wish i had that old gun,It was a Dandy,but was sold or gambled away somewhere in time before i was grown....The other old colt i saw was a stamped U.S.Army 1873 45 colt and it was all original except the parts had been changed and the numbers did not match,but it did have the mark that told when colt factory had done the changes and was a nice colt....Try to check with a high end dealer in your area,they should know how to find the inspecters mark and date it or maybe someone here can chime in and locate the mark/stamp...Hope this helps and good luck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote