New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coke bottle grips for S & W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are "coke bottle grips". There is a set for a 44 mag on eBay for over $400. I've never heard of this term and I've never seen a set of pistol grips for $400. What gives?

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are the original grips found on the .44 Magnum Model (Pre Model 29), and the early model 29's as well. Some were S/N to the gun.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The major difference is that they will have one large diamond shaped uncut area around the screw hole. Similar in that respect to the two diamonds on the grips of an original Colt 1911 (not 1911A1). Also the chequering is usually of better quality and the wood has a rich reddish-brown (like a Coca-Cola or Pepsi) colour.

They are sometimes also called "Target Grips" in later S & W catalogues. We in Great Briatain oif course had been banned from owning handguns since 1997. But I did once have a early S & W Model 57 and Model 29 with such grips.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
They get the name 'cokes' from the shape seen when they are viewed from the rear of the gun. The grips look like a coke bottle with the curves from top to bottom. They tend to sell for a high dollar-- $350 to $500 depending on condition, wood and checkered or not. Further information can be found on the Smith & wesson forum.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote