Find
Notify
Tools

How do you find out?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
How do I find `the history on my 1898 Krag?

Was it used in in war?

How do I find its history????

Could it have been issued during the Ludlow Massacre in Colarado? or the Matewan Massacure in West Virginia?

Just some thoughts worth pondering.

Does anybody have a recolection of this history?
I know first handers are dead and gone now....

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Because it is a U.S. Rifle made at Springfield Armory you will be best served by looking into the reference books on the U.S. Rifle caliber .30-40 Krag. There are a number available, just do an internet search.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Krag collector website and I believe they have recorded serial numbers of Krags that were used at San Juan Hill.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
19 Romeo

That is what I was looking for.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it have been issued during the Ludlow Massacre in Colarado? or the Matewan Massacure in West Virginia?

Off topic, but anyway- the film "Matewan" has the best dang shoot-out scene I've ever watched. There's a Krag in there.

I would assume a Krag used at Matewan would have been one that was purchased from the government into private hands.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
tin can

The Krag was the most predominate bolt action of that period especiaaly in the militias and private security officials, I would like to know about the history of it and im sure it was documented somewhere it just finding it.

Cal30