New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Browsing in London
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be in London in February and would like to browse some of the nicer gunshops. I know about (and have visited in the past) some of the big boys like Holland & Holland. Where else would you recommend? I will not necessarily be buying, but I would love to find a good 275 Rigby and/or 416 Rigby.

Posts: 51 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.williamevans.com I think their gun room isn't open on Saturdays.

http://www.bossguns.co.uk more shotguns than rifles, but oh what guns they are!

William and Sons is just a few doors down from Boss. Can't find a web address for them.

I guess you've already been to http://www.purdey.com and http://www.hollandandholland.com

There's also the new Paul Roberts who has taken ownership of the WJ Jeffrey name. I plan to visit his store next trip to London,but haven't done so yet. http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk for details.

I don't think any of the big auction houses are having a sale while you're there, but for future trips it's always worth going to a viewing if you can manage it.

That should keep you occupied in London for a few days!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I can't wait.

Posts: 51 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

JA Roberts have moved from their old offices not too far from Waterloo station to "outer" London I believe. I have not visited their new premises, but I did vist their old one. The contrast between them and H & H would not be more sharper. H & H is now virtually a "yuppie boutique" although it does have a good display of rifles and shotguns. JA Roberts is very much a working gun maker with very little to browse but a far better atmosphere...it reeks of hunting Africa! I found them to be very friendly and approachable to the average joe unlike H & H and Boss who both looked at me like a shop lifter!...

How long are you in London for?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
I've done the rounds of the West End shops on two different visits now. I've had really good experiences in both H&H and Boss. On one occation in H&H I ended up talking guns with one of the sales people and handled a whole bunch of different rifles and shotguns. I was very open with them that buying anything was out of the question, but he was still more than helpful. Same thing happened in Boss.

Guess I got them on their good days.

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
Great information,
thanks

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It's nice that so many of the grand old makers are still extant, even if in a new form under different owners.

If one can't make it to Britain or Europe, many of the great makes attend the SHOT and International Arms shows in Vegas, with lots of stuff to see and handle. I highly recommend the Internation Arms Show, held in conjunction with Beinfield's Antique Arms Show in January. It far exceeded my expectations and I would strongly urge anyone considering buying a high-end rifle or shotgun to visit it beforehand.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the full flavor of an English gunbuilder go visit John Wilkes. I don't know the street but it is just off of Carnaby Street, towards Picadilly. [Smile] The real deal.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey, I was under the impression that the John Wilkes shop was no more. Can you confirm they are still there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu C

No I can't. It has been four years since I stopped by to say Hi. I stopped their 4-5 times and was always given the tour and allowed to poke in all the stuff lying around. I bought a two barrel case from them for 35 Pounds, complete with accesories.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I can't wait.

one of us
posted Hide Post
what is mind boggling about london is that all the most notable gun makers in the world are located in downtown london ,right in the midst of the city ,where gun ownership is carfully restricted yet in the USA where we enjoy more freedom of ownership you would not find a gun shop in a high end shopping district,
if you take a day trip up to bath be sure to stop at I.M.Crudgingtons it is a fishing and hunting store the last time i was there 7 years ago they were building mag.mauser action from scratch.he also has all the archives of george gibbs rifles.

paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote