Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 458
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi
I was hopeing some one who collects Brownings could help out with this.
I have a browning 458 safari grade bolt action. the serial # is 63xxx-L72. I think it is a Sako action. What do you thing the date of manufacture is? What does th -L72 stand for?
Thanks

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Try looking here.
http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/index.asp

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's a Sako action. I'm no where close to being a Browning authority, but I think the only Sako action-Browning rifles were the short actions in calibers like 243, 284, 308, etc.

Somewhere in the 60's Browning switched from an FN 98 like action (controlled feed with the long extractor on the side of the bolt) to a short extractor version.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I can't find a section on the brownign site than covers the old bolt actions. Matt I think you are right. The external dementions of the acton are just like a large ring mauser but it has a sako like extractor. ?? It shoots very well

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
1972 production included SN 63349L72-64487L72, L72 designates a Safari Grade made in 1972 on an FN Long Action. Sako actions should have been marked with a Y72 or Z72. The .458 Win. was a standard caliber for FN from 1959-1975

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Browningguy!

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think "browning guy" is incorrect. I just a Browning 458 SN 63574 L72, and it is a SHORT extractor.

Bill

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to piss on anyone's boots but Browning changed the extractor on all magnum calibers in 1967. I would agree the rifle was made in 1972, it is not a SAKO it is a FN action with a short extractor. If you have any questions read Matt Eastman"s book.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote