Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 1899 22HP.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
I purchased a Savage 1899, I was hoping somebody could tell me the model, year made, etc...
ser. # 165523.
22 HP. caliber.
reciever sight.
2 rear leaf sight, one leaf has a white (ivory)
diamond.
19" barrel.
lever safety.
take down model.
Brass counter.
Metal buttplate with indian chief logo, that says Savage quality.
The barrel is stamped " Manufactured by Savage Arms Company Utica, N.Y. USA Pat FE87 1893. Oct 3 1899 june 1 1909
The metal has a patina type of finish. The wood schnabel forend and stock doesn't have any engraving.

Thanks,

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Go to 24hourcampfire.com., "Savage collectors" thread. They will have a great time with all that information.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leif,
I suspect the barrel has been cut at 19"...the gun was probably made about 1925 to 1930...I have the serial numbers list somewhere but can't find it...so thats an educated guess..

Condiditon of the bore, is it a take down, nicks and scratches, gouges also count..nice caliber but ammo is hard to come by but can be made from 30-30, 25-35 and 32 Special brass...some custom loading companies load ammo for it and thats the best way to go as forming brass from the above cases is not an easy task as the brass quality is not all that good in any make and tends to work harden as you form and a lot of cases are lost....

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote