Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find age of firearm
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, can anyone provide me with info on how to 'age' a .22 Winchester WRF 7764 SN.79628 Pump Action Single Barrel Rifle. Am trying to find out if it is over 100years old and if it would need to be listed on a firearms certificate if it is that old. Help would be greatfully appreciated

Posts: 20 | Location: Devon, England | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joanne; Winchester usually only uses 2 or 3numbers in their model numbers,I think! If it is a 77,they started in 1955 and were discontinued in 63. If it is a 64 then it could be from between 1933 and 57 or from 1972 or 3. That is the best that I can do wih my limited resource base. Of course the numbers in Canada are often different from those in the US so they might also be different in GB. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHEN I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT VINTAGE MY MODEL 27 WAS I CONTACTED SMITH&WESSON. THEY WERE VERY FORTHCOMING WITH THE ANSWER.TRY TO CONTACT THE GUN MAKER TO SEE IF THEY WILL HELP YOU.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I don't know of a Model 7764, particularly in .22 Winchester Rimfire and a pump action.

If this is the Model 1890, that would be in .22 WRF, the gun was discontinued in 1932 with SN 846022. Your gun, SN 79628, would be a second model of the Model 1890, this means that the locking lugs are concealed, i.e. you can't see them on either side of the receiver. Also, it is a takedown. This was probably a case hardened receiver. It's appearance is similar to that shown below.

-

If it doesn't look like this it probably isn't a .22 WRF and isn't a pre-1901 rifle. The Model 77 (not 7764 at least on this side of the pond) is a semi-auto in .22 Long Rifle. It should look like this:

-

Just in case you're confused about cartridge nomenclature, the .22 Winchester Rimfire is not the same cartridge as the .22 Long Rifle. While there are many variations on the .22 rimfire cartridge, the basic list of cartridges is:

.22 BB cap
.22 CB cap
.22 Short
.22 Winchester Auto (aka .22 Remington Auto)
.22 Long
.22 Long Rifle
.22 Extra Long
.22 Winchester Rimfire
.22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum

The .22 Winchester Rimfire has an inside lubricated 45 gr. bullet and this is the case that was the basis for the .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum (a lengthened .22 WRF).

A more lengthy description is available at Chuck Hawks.

Given your description, a photo would be helpful in identifying the rifle. In his book, "The Winchester Book", George Madis does not give production dates for this rifle by serial number. It may be that the Cody Firearms Museum can help you with your serial number search. As you can see from their website they do charge a very reasonable fee for the service.

Good luck on your search.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hobie:

Thats useful info - many thanks. Are you familiar with the CB long on that side of the pond? Only about 40ft/lbs ME and makes no more noise than a spit.

Zeros at about 15yds when fired through my Krico set up for a 75yd zero with sub sonics. A truly great little round for back yard practice and clandestine 'pest'removal!! [Wink]

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Joanne,

As it is chambered for a currently available cartridge, I am pretty sure that it will need to go on your FAC but a call to BASC would confirm that...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Thank you.

I've used most of the cartridges except the Extra Long. I believe they were all loaded with black or Lesmoke.

Here in the States (and Mexico by Aguila) the CB cap is loaded in the short and LR case. The Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri are currently my favorites of this cartridge. I use them mostly on squirrels. Currently, I've got a brick of each on hand. Not that I use them much... [Wink]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hobie and all,

thanks for the helpful info, very much appreciated. [Wink]

Think we have got it down to between 1899 and 1900... not bad really [Wink]

Now just to find out for sure if it needs to go onto firearms certificate [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Jo

Posts: 20 | Location: Devon, England | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote