Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wearherby 220 Rocket
 Login/Join

posted
The value of a gun… Yes, I know it’s an age old question with some guidelines drawing from books and experience, but… What about the custom one of a kind gun? I am not a gun collector and have done as much research as I can on my rifle, but still am at a loss when asked to put a price on this art. Possibly some of you here could help?

This is a Weatherby 220 Rocket. No serial number, most likely produced between 1946 to the mid 50’s depending on whom I have talked with. It is believed that the mesquite stock was made by Lenoard Muse (my spelling may be incorrect).

I have had this rifle since the 80’s, my Father received it in the 60’s. Opinions on it’s value would be greatly appreciated as I am going to be selling it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW
You have a GREAT gun there!! I have been wanting to have my Ruger No.1 in 220 Swift rechambered to the Rocket but you have an original...

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post

REW = Roy Edward Weatherby??? I'd call weatherby and see if his Ed has any interest in his fathers rifle.

Other than that, the true way to put a value on that gun is to send it to auction.

Tell us the story of how your father aquired it? Great piece of history and art.

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Father received this rifle as a Christmas gift from my Mother in the 1960’s. I recall that because she had acquired it in the summer and hid it between my mattress and box springs. It was the first of two times in my life I had seen him cry, the second is when my Mother passed away.

In the 80’s this rifle was stolen along with a great number of guns from my Fathers home. He was lucky all were recovered. He then decided to sell off his collection excluding the muzzle loaders. A family friend-gun dealer put a price on this beauty, when I happened to be at their home of five grand…. Shall we say it pissed my Mother off? Ohhh ya! She gave me the gun as soon as the number left this mans lips, she knew it was worth more.

I’ve had it ever since. My Father KNEW with each gun he bought it would cost him in jewelry for my Mother. I’m sure any gun collector is aware that the price of a gun is more than the price tag…….

I have contacted Weatherby and they were delightful and as informative as they could be, but uninterested. Additionally I contacted numerous arms auction houses, sadly they did not feel the need to get back to me, I even sent pictures! Needless to say I believe I have done my best with regards to research and have talked with quite a few Weatherby collectors. I have come to an agreement to sell this beauty and am hoping that everything will be final in the next week.

The only thing that upsets me is that I can not buy a seat on an airplane to take it to it’s new home. Tragically it will be doomed to checked luggage!

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Great story.

Thanks a million for detailing it's history with your family.

Your family sounds just like mine. Clothes, furs, and jewelry, showed up for mom when a new toy for dad arrived. Love those memories.

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhh Ya, I forgot about those furs! LOL it was a wild ride and as an adult now I'm grateful they had fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For sure you have a rifle that carries reasonable value.
It's one of those deals that you need atleast 2 appraisals. A call to the Weatherby factory would not hurt!

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Contact www.weatherbycollectors.com, notify the members you are putting it on gunbroker or auctionarms. It should bring alot.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of erlingurj
posted Hide Post
Hello all.I have been collecting for 30 years and not
English so sxcuse my writing.like to show you my homepage,but 7 guns are missing not updated for 3 years.
www.123.is/domine/

Posts: 7 | Location: Iceland. | Registered: 23 December 2007Reply With Quote