New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gebby Made Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently got ahold of two rifles that have the name "Gebby" on them. One is a Win 1885 HiWall with set trigger in cal 17 Ackley Bee. The other is a Martini Cadet in 17/222 Rimmed [17 Javelina Rimmed]wit DS triggers and both have Unertl Scopes. Can anyone give me info on Mr. Gebby?
Aloha, Mark
kailuacustom@msn.com

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Jerry Gebby was a gunsmith in Dayton and the inventor of the 22-250. Try an Internet search on Jerry E Gebby.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought all of Gebby's stock,rifles,dies,reamers etc. From Gebby's estate I suppose. I bought a 98 Mauser commercial that had had the ribbed barrel relined and chambered in 22-250 by Gebby himself. I stocked it and sold it to someone. Never shot it. About all the experience I've had with either Gebby or the 22-250. My big varmint love was a 220 Swift. In 1952 those were the 2 BIG varmint calibers with the 219 Donaldson Wasp close behind.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Gebby was a famous gunsmith who CLAIMED to have invented the .22-250 and who filed for and received a copyright on the name "Varminter". The .22-250 was called the ".22-250 Varminter" originally, by others well before Mr. Gebby. (kind of reminds one of Jim Carmichael, doesn't it?)

Anyway, he was a very good gunsmith and was quite well respected until he tried to corner the market on the "Varminter" chamberings. He may even have well believed he did invent the cartridge. But just a little research by anyone interested in the cartridge's history shows that he certainly wasn't the first to so convert Charlie Newton's .250-3000 to a .22 varmint rifle cartridge.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Alberta

You are dead right about Gebby He was not the originator.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got two Gebby Rifles, a .22 Varminter (.22-250) and a .270 on Mauser actions. Very nice, very heavy, beautiful stocks. My dad talked to an old-time smith in PA who knew Gebby a bit and the guy said that he probably didn't do the stocks, so that part is a mystery, but they are neat guns that we have had for a long time.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote