Find
Notify
Tools

Newton Sporting Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of David W
posted
I ran across one of these chambered in .30 Newton, which I understand is an early .30 caliber magnum. It was a neat old rifle, with an interesting proprietary action, double set triggers, in decent shape. Anyone know much about these rifles or idea of approximate value?

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
There is a book on Newton rifles written by Bruce Jennings of Sheridan, Wyoming. If he is still alive he probably has a listed phone number. He knows everything Newton. Try giving him a call.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Matt.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
There is one for sale right now in 30-06 on Auction Arms and it is SWEET!

Newton Rifle

How high do you think it will go. I've seen a few 1st model newtons before, but NONE this nice. I think I would go up to a grand for this, but I don't know if I would get it for that with that stock. after all they only made 4,000 of these, and not too many with wood this nice, especially in 1917!

What do you guys think?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Okay, it went over my limit by $1 and there are still two days left. I don't think I can afford it. Frowner I mean, I can come up with the money, just can't justify it to myself. Am I being cheap?

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!! Eeker

It went for over $1,600!!! I was out of it before I started!!

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi: I know a LOT about these Newton Rifles..I was a friend of Bruce Jennings who was the ultimate authority...and we had many chats about Newton Rifles...his book is the ultimate source material & is on sale on www.gunbroker.com. Bruce is now deceased, so I may very well be the most knowledgeable now...but its a lot of ground to cover, so ask please & I'll try & answer well.
Best Regards, Tom Big Grin

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear Bruce passed on. He was a pleasure to talk to as he really was an expert. I have book #52 of his.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi: Bruce Jennings was a good friend & the Newton Expert...gunwriters would call him & ask questions, making sure their info was correct before writing up something about Newtons...still its amazing how much they can get wrong! I learned most of what I
know from my many visits over the mountains to Bruce's place. He spent a lifetime collecting Newston Rifles, and anything Newton. When I once asked him how he had so many near perfect Newton Rifles..he said: "Tom, I've been collecting Newtons for over 50 years!" He was a good fellow. Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Newton cartridges were far ahead of thier time and still are! A 30 Newton today would be ideal. The rifles were very interesting as well.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote