New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-06 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
John Lacy's book on the Rem 700 says that when Remington was re-introducing the .280 Remington they were going to call it the 7mm-06 Remington. Mr. Lacy says that about 150 or so of these Model 700s stamped 7mm-06 Rem. were advanced to gun writers of the day and escaped the factory with the barrels so stamped prior to a recall and a name chang to 7mm Express Remington. They later changed it again back to 280 Remington. I own one of these Model 700s stamped 7mm-06 Rem. Can anyone give me some more information on this oddity. My rifle is a 700 BDL in near new 100% factory original condition. How can I find out a value on this unique rifle?? Any other historical info would be appreciated & helpful. Thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen M700 chambered in 7 M/M Rem. Express at gun shows in my area that don't bring any premium. Since the 700 Remington is not a very collectable gun a premium isn't required on a rare chambering/ marking. A small premium may be asked on your 7mm-06, perhaps $50 to $75 over a standard BDL. I hope that this is helpful to you.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington also marked some of the early 6MM Remingtons 6MM Remington Mag. They XXXed over the mag and sold them in that manner. They are pretty rare and no one really pays any attention to them.
Except for some of the limited chamberings in the Classic, M700s do not have much in the way of premium variations.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that it was ~1957 when Remington first came out with the then '7mm-06' and then promptly re-named it the 280 Remington. Some ammunition so headstamped (7mm-06)made it out too. It was in the late 70's when they tried to amp up the marketing on the cartridge by re-designating it the 7mm Express. That campaign fizzled and it went back to being the 280 Remington.

Funny how 7mm-06 didn't stick, but the 7mm-08 and 25-06 did.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF the your 7MM/06 is a true 7MM/06 the body length to the shoulder would be about .050" shorter than the 280 Rem/7MM Express. The body was made longer to prevent the 280 ammo from being fired in the 270 Winchester. If your 7MM/06 will not chamber 280 ammo it may be a true 7MM/06. I don't know if any were produced before the decision was made to lengthen the round for safety reasons.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote