Find
Notify
Tools

Any FFL holders in here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
So im tossing around the idea of getting my FFL. Done alto of reading the past 4 days and im still drawing up some blanks.

The reason im wanting this is because of my lust for firearms purchase and always having to pay a FFL to transfer it for me. SO I figure if I would take all the money I could just have my own FFL.

Im not too sure if I want just a collectors FFL or an actual dealer. I currently have a Sentry safe which I know is not a Cannon or Liberty, but it works for right now. But it is full and I need a new safe anyways. SO I might as well go ahead and get a decent one if im thinking about getting my FFL.

The reason im debating between the 2 type of FFL is because I wouldnt mind being a private dealer or FFL holder to do transfer's for other people and friends. I would like to have this route open for later business options I have in mind.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an 03 C&R license. The license will pay for itself with the first gun you buy. A C&R is good for C&R eligible guns only. You can sell C&R guns to enhance your collection but you cannot deal guns with it.

It is perfectly legal to buy three guns, keep the best one and sell the other two. It would not be legal to buy three guns with the intent of selling the other two to pay for your gun. INTENT is the key. Yopu can make a profit on a gun sale but you cannot be in the business of selling guns. You cannopt order a C&R gun for a friend with your license.

50 years old is the default for C&R eligibility. There are numerous guns listed as C&R before attaining that age. Foreign military guns must be in full military configuration to be C&R eligible. Sportereized military guns even if sporterized longer than 50 years ago are NOT C&R eligible.

01 Dealer FFL's have a lot more benefits and restrictions. My friend just gave up his FFL from over 40 years; he got tired of the BATFE. They wanted to do an inspection and he told them let's make it easy. When you come just take it. End of story.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Brando,

I have held FFL's over several years and locations.

Seeing your address , I assume you are about to retire and return stateside--

from what I gather talking to other people around the country--" Store front" (full FFL) is subject to differing treatments in differing areas.

Likewise ,as I understand C&R , it is not only a profit issue and an intent issue, but--

some regions arbitrarily decide how long you must own a C&R before "selling" it from your collection to "better" your collection.

In other words, the region you find yourself in , subjects you to the whims and behaviors of the regions Agents (not necessarily the statutes.)

I would look more for information from people in your specific area.

I too have just seen a long time FFL holder give up his certificate after routine harrassment over factors he could not control--

ie-- weapons dutifully documented , including tracking numbers for shipping, to another dealer that never logged in the weapons.

These were subsequently used in a crime, even though my friend had done "a buy the book" transfer-- the harassment became so onerous--

that eventually he uttered a few plesantries , handed his certificate and bade them a miserable life.

He could well afford top retire and did so.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BATF agents start at "asshole" and work down from there. I have no respect for them after Waco.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Not retiring that soon, but im coming back stateside VERY soon and this is when I want to seek out and get an FFL possibly. My new location will be in Eastern NC and that is where I will be staying till I retire more than likely, unless an act of god makes me move.

Now did I understand correctly I can just obtain and collectors FFL and only buy firearms for myself. If I got to go through all that hassle with the ATF and inspections I will never get one, I get enough of the crap at work already.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Collector's License, Type 03 FFL, is only for buying C&R eligible guns for yourself.

You can sell C&R guns to enhance your collection but cannot engage in the business of buying and selling.

The inspections for a C&R are no big deal if you follow the rules.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Not really interested in C&R type firearms, I do like military issue rifles like the SKS, AK, Mauser and AR's but I dont collect them.

Guess I will have to just keep paying the $35 to my local FFL holder so he can receive the firearm for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an ffl here in Utah and have worked/managed several other gunstores. While I've heard horror stories of gestapo type tactics (mostly on the east coast) I've yet to have an unpleasant experience with any ATF agents here. They've all been extremely helpful to me.

That being said if you just want to avoid the cost/hassle of doing transfers you are actually going to create more costs, hassles and liability for yourself. I wouldn't do it unless you really want to go into the business.

Just keep searching for a decent store to work with. I think if you approached the right store owner and told them you'd do all your transfers and other business through them if they cut you a break on transfer fees you can find someone reasonable to work with.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
BATF agents start at "asshole" and work down from there. I have no respect for them after Waco.

+1.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote