New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Remington model 720
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a 720. Military award or regular commercial model. ?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was one of the USN award models on ebay a little while back. I've never seen a commercial one for sale (not saying they aren't out there, just saying that I haven't seen one for sale. I wish I would, I've always wanted one. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one and Im waiting for it to arrive. I know they are rare so when I found this one I thought Id get it.

A local gun shop owner has 7 award 720s that he got will in the marines .

Saw a award 720 rifle on GunsAmerica that was priced at over $3000.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was that a commercial 720 or one of the award rifles GSP? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan , It appears to be a commercial one . The guy said it was his father inlaws and he bought it in the 1940s or 50s and used it for elk and deer hunting. It looks like it has a "custom" stock ,bueler scope mounts/rings , weaver scope. Ill know more when it arrives. It looked in pretty good condition and I saw the markings on the reciever and Serial was 41xxx

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! Any way to post pics of it when you get it? - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea , when I get it ill take some photos.

I also have a rifle that looks like a model 720 ,(bolt handle and guide rib) , but it is a 1927 model 30 action that has been modified with 720 features. It is what got me interested in searching for a 720.

one of us
posted Hide Post
according to Remington, some of the later models of the 30 (S and Express) had these features. They made a lot of changes throughout the production run (cock on opening, shorter firing pin and striker distance, guide rib, etc). If you don't mind me asking (as I'm looking for one) would you mind sending me a PM with the approximate price you paid for it. That will give me a ball park idea of what this fixation is going to cost me. Thanks. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan , sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it and answered. Thank you. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan ,, I finely got the 720. I cleaned it up tonight it had a few small bits of surface rust on the tips of a few things from someones fingers. Used some kroll oil and brass wire brush cleaned right up.
The stock is funky and has cracks ,looks like someone fell carrying it. Ill restock it.

The 720 action is real, real, slick and tight,Pretty cool action. The action and bolt are in excelent condition. I dont think its been shot that much. Looks like its been rebarreled and looks like a good job, good bore. Its a 270. I wish it was a 30-06 , becuase i have 2 , 270s. I wonder why it was rebarreled .

I'd like to make it a 338-06 or some kind of large bore gun but keep it the 06 size bolt face.

It has a aluminum trigger guard and floor plate , which is origanal.

I guess 720s werent drilled and tapped from the factory , but this one has been and it has some good old Bueler mounts and rings so thats a plus .

The 720 is a very smooth working action, I see why they call it a cadilac.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick, I had a look at otteson's Bolt Actions last night and he has a chapter on the 30 and one on the 720. Lot's of good info there. If it were me, I would go with 338-06 or perhaps one of the larger Whelens (375 or 400). They just seem to fit the larger action. Maybe check out the Hawk line or the Howells, they have the -06 case head too. - Dan

One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a 720 in 30-06 that was my Grandfather's. It was given to him by a friend that was a USMC Col. He had a Griffin and Howe scope mount installed. After I got it I lost the top part of the mount and had it drilled for standard mounts and now have a VX-II 3x9 on it. When I pick it up, its like putting on an old pair of slippers, it just feels comfy and good!

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 219 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an orginal commercial one I picked up at the Houston, TX gun show 12-15 years ago. If I recall I paid around $700 for it. Just happened to see it in a rack with a lot of other guns. I had a neatly repaired broken stock at the wrist but otherwise in very nice orginal condition- probably 90% blue or better.

Mine is SN 415XX - within a few hundred of your, perhaps closer. Mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope but has a Redfield receiver sight. I would guess that like many guns of the ra they were drilled and tapped for a receiver sight but not for scope mounts.

I need to do a seperate thread on the two Model 30 B&M (Belding and Mull - the reloading equipment guys) Model 30 sporters I have. They are engraved "B&M Sporter" on the floor plate and have cocking sleeve mounted peep sights and some unusual scope mounts.

I have a 30S that has the guide rib on the bolt. The Model 30s I have do not have the rib. All of mine cock on opening but there are differences in the cocking pieces.

quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Dan , It appears to be a commercial one . The guy said it was his father inlaws and he bought it in the 1940s or 50s and used it for elk and deer hunting. It looks like it has a "custom" stock ,bueler scope mounts/rings , weaver scope. Ill know more when it arrives. It looked in pretty good condition and I saw the markings on the reciever and Serial was 41xxx<br /> <br /> Rick

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
In Roseburg, Oregon, where I lived until last August, there was a youngish EX-GI rifle competitor who had three of them, each like new. All were awarded to him personally. He was selling them because he needed money. He was asking $1,100 apiece, but got no takers at anything like that price. He finally ended up selling a pair of them for that sum ($550 apiece)...don't know if he sold the third or not.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote