THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    What is the best way to insure a firearms collection?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best way to insure a firearms collection?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted
I noticed that my home owners insurance only covers up to $6000 for theft of firearms.
What are you all doing for insurance coverage for firearms collections?

Thanks for any advice and ideas.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
being well armed yourself

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good safe, a zipped lip, and a Smith and Wesson or Glock are the best insurance. There are companies that specifically write riders for valuables or you can increase the limits on your homeowners (which usually is fairly expensive to do), or, as they say in the stock market, you can sell down to your sleeping point.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to document every gun with photos, and record its features and serial numbers and keep it in a safe spot online, ie: one of the online vaults you can get. It becomes your harddrive, online, and all of your information is safely stored there in the event of your house burning down, computer at home crashes, or the computer is stolen.

I document all of mine firearms with pictorial coverage so that they can't ever deny that I had it in my possession. Photos are great insurance in and of themselves.

Posts: 5 | Location: MN | Registered: 23 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
I pretty much have all those avenues covered.

1. In Safe
2. Max coverage in Homeowners Ins.
3. Always armed
(but that doesn't help when not home.)
4. all SS#'s and descriptions recorded.

I guess what I was looking for is an insurance co. that covers firearms.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a few cos. that sell firearms insurance. I believe I got mine through the NRA. The specialty insurers will usually beat by a bunch just adding a rider to your homeowners. If you read the fine print in your homeowners insurance it probably says that it doesn't cover anything that anyone would want to steal.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Insurance through the SCI can be purchased for a fraction of the collections value through one of the companies that recognizes the SCI. It is SIAI Sportsmens Insurance Agency Inc.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took out a personal articles policy though state farm. It is on the same policy as my wife’s wedding ring just under a sub heading of “sports equipment”. All they had me do was list the guns with their serial numbers and the value of each that I wanted to insure for. I provided the information to the underwriter about the fire safe that they stay in and took pictures and saved them to an offsite serve. Easy and inexpensive and the bill comes with my regular monthly account.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easy and inexpensive and the bill comes with my regular monthly account.

I expect that if you figure out what you are paying yearly per $100 or $1000 value that it won't be as cheap as you seem to think it is.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the NRA. The main reason is because of their policy and the fact they don't require serial numbers if I remember corrctly. Nobody needs to know your serial#'s but you.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Easy and inexpensive and the bill comes with my regular monthly account.

I expect that if you figure out what you are paying yearly per $100 or $1000 value that it won't be as cheap as you seem to think it is.

I forget what it is now, but I will take a look at the policy, figure it out, and post it up.

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Try CoreVens. $100,000 coverage for 350 per year. That is 3.50 per 1000.

Need safe and security system but you are not required to detail your firearms.

They also cover your firearms if you are traveling and offer free additional coverage if you are a Dallas Safari Club member.

http://www.corevensguninsuranc...oting_Sportsman.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

Got the update on the policy in the mail on how it all breaks down.

YEARLY I pay $18.34 per $1,000 insured.

How does that compare to what others pay?
I'm not even in the ballpark of the CoreVens rate!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for CoreVens. They have coverage abroad while on Safari. Can't beat Rate. They will also insure your trophies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My insurance company just offers a rider for $4 per thousand. I went with $60K and they do not need serial numbers, etc.

They do the same thing for my HD.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote