THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN COLLECTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gun Collecting    Does my pals Smith and wesson revolver have collectors value?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does my pals Smith and wesson revolver have collectors value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend that lives in Cape town asked me to get more info on a revolver he wants to sell. All I know is that their is no model number ANYWHERE on the gun. It is a 357 Magnum with 3'inch barrel and the following details on the gun. Made in USA
Marcas Registradas
Smith and Wesson
Springfield Mass
The serial number is S282732.

Can anyone let me have more info on what model it is and an approximate value. It is immaculate. I cant get pics as yet but am hoping he will send them and I will post them.

Many thanks in advance

PS it was purchased in the sixties.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slide the cylinder release button forward and open the cylinder. Where the yoke slides into the frame of the revolver there should be a "MOD X" or MOD X-x" (if the revolver is a revision of a certain model) embossed on the frame.

If you truly have one that is unmarked, it is probably quite valuable...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I will ask him to check.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend had another look an cant find a X on the gun. Below the serial number is written 27-2? Approximate value?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Morning.
Your friend found the model number.
It's a model 27 second edition, second modification.
I've got a safe full of S&Ws with various numbers behind the model number.
I'm betting that the model 27 was made in the 1960s-1970s.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks arkypete, does it have any collector value?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 27-2 was made in 1967 and almost certainly has a 3 1/2 inch barrel (not 3 inch). There is no real collector value beyond being a somewhat older Smith. They used to be pretty cheap but now, if it is in excellent condition, it would bring at least $500 in the US IMO.

FWIW most of the several 27 and 28s (same gun, lesser quality finish) that I have shot have been very accurate.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
What Gatogordo said.

That particular model (27) is what is refered to as an 'N' frame Smith. Back in the era it was made, S&W used three frame sizes; J, K, and (the largest) N. Most J frames were typically the 5 shot, pocket 38's. K frames were big enough to be 6 shot cylinders. The N frames were larger/heavier and could handle up to the 44 Magnum cartridge.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
HMMMM --- 27-2 in 3 1/2 inch Smith and wessons generally sell for a good deal more at Ohio Gun Collector shows (depending on condition) to the tune of $700 to $800. Make positive of the barrel length as they were offered in 3 1/2, 4, 5 and many other lengths.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The dealers have been offering him next to nothing for it. I will advise him to sell it privately.

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
27-2 increasing in value. $800++

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, now is anybody interested to buy it?

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Go here and check for opinions, and post pictures.

3 or 3.5 inch barrel revolvers are bringing a premium.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there a lot of folks stateside that would like to buy it but what are the import restrictions? (i.e.-$$$)

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I lived in Cape Town and had a 357, I guess I'd sell the wife before it...... just sayin.

here's 10 pages from our helpful government you can plow through and I believe you also need an export license from SA as well.

http://searchjustice.usdoj.gov...&proxystylesheet=atf

I rather doubt the prize is worth the quest as it is not NIB w/papers. It's a fairly common gun and most people (here) want high cap 9s or 40s for concealed carry and big bore revolvers for hunting.

Probably more useful there than here........