Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Collectible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I don't even know if there are Weatherby collectors in the classic sense of the term.

But there is a friend who lives abut three houses away who has an early (end of the 1950s), left-handed, German-made, Mark V in .300 Wby Mag.

The finish is very nice, the wood a bit fancy. The bore has a little bit of what may be visible wear at the throat, but may just be the usual Wby long throat. (I don't have a bore scope, so can't tell.)

He is at an age where he has quit hunting, which is all he ever used it for. The recent recession took him from being a multi-millionaire to being a "one thousand-aire" (on a good day), so he thinks he needs to sell it.

What kind of market is there for that kind of thing?

The only advice I have been able to give him is that it is a very nice gun, in NRA Exc. condition, so he might be best off to put it on consignment at the local gun shop which sees a fair smattering of millionaires walk in the door every week. Full recommended retail for a similar current new Weatherby (not made in Germany and with a very plain composite stock, is over $2,000).

So what do you guys think? Is there a market out there? What would you try to sell it at if it was yours?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, there are Weatherby collectors out there, for sure. A friend of mine in Michigan has a number of them, and someone he knows owns Weatherby rifle that were owned by Roy Rogers and other folks of renown. There's probably a Weatherby Collectors forum, I would think. I'll find out.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found it, and aptly named! :-)

http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Señor Biebs. Appreciate it. Will pass the word on to John (my neighbor)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just assisting my mentor :-)