New
Find
Notify
Tools

Immanuel Meffert
 Login/Join

posted
Hello
Does anyone have ínformation about gunsmith mentioned on subject? I found just that he was working on suhl area somewhere around 1900, and made some drillings etc...
Anyway, I have Immanuel Meffert 16/70 side by side shotgun.
It has that name and normal suhl area markings "Special stahl, Hubertus-Suhl...etc etc" on it.
I´m just curious has anyone seen similar gun, since I can´t find a single one mention about 16/70 shotgun from internet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a meffert and did alot of reserch on it.
The old records were lost from the factory because of the war.They are a respected firearm with workmanship just as good as any other maker from the suhl area.look on the bottom of the barrel and you can find what month & year the unit was made and what gauge and loads if was proofed with.It will look something like 3/9 meaning march in the year 1909.Some old gun books can tell you what all the proof marks mean,like smokeless/nitro/blackpowder powder and stuff.Also alot of the shotgun chambers are 2 1/2 inch size not 2 3/4.You will have to get the ammo from a special maker not just anyone makes the small stuff,look in a doublegun journal or check with western scrounger,Drilling hotline or others for ammo,I would only shoot mild loads with a #6shot if your gun is tight and shootable& you want to fire it.Also you will have to do a lot of searching to find out about meffert as they have been out of business a long time,look on german firearm sights/archives/history in suhl.
Look at some high end shotgun stores on the web like chaddicks or griffen & howe etc. and see some prices they are asking to get a idea of the worth.
Hubertus was there name of there top of the line models and that Hubertus is a saint hunter in germany folklore........
Does your gun have engraving?
Most of the ones i have seen are beautifully engraved with the old german craftsmanship and the metal to fit is the best it can be on a firearm.I think someone told me that meffert was actually a jewish maker in suhl germany.maybe we can find out some more on these neat firearms and there makers......
Suhl germany at one time had bunchs of makers and they still are a firearms Factory town,merkel is still made there as well as others.
Hope this helps and good luck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a German Gun Collectors Society that has a web address.....they are VERY informed on history and development of German sporting long-guns.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
German gun collectors' association

Your Immanuel Meefert must be a beautiful rifle. Congratulations and do post pictures when you find time. The website has one for sale in 476 NE.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answers, I also have allready send mail with photos to German Gun Collectors.

I´m very sad about condition it is now. My father bought it used on 60´s and it was just tool for hunting...
Finishing is pretty badly worn, also bores are pretty badly corroted after chambers...so it does not have such value it could have.
Technically its perfect, very tight (checked by professional gunsmith). I use it several times a year for bird hunting if there´s nice weather out.

It is stamped with 16/70 Nitro, so there´s no possibility for mistakes. Only numbers are 454. Could it be april 1954? If thats correct, I suppose there should be some records somewhere (after war). Caliber 16/70, I suppose 70mm chambers are pretty modern "invention"?

It has some engravings, but nothing very special, maybe little bit more than average german shotguns from that era (what I´ve seen)

I can add some pics later here.

posted Hide Post
Ok, here´s some pics.
Gun is not SO bad like you could imagine from pictures, I took em with flash, and it makes everything 10 times worse...thank god...=)

one of us
posted Hide Post
riude,

That is a nice gun and should work out very well with a basic restoration job.

Congratulations! thumb

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote